Chapter Three

Chapter Three

EM I R Y

"Not only can you not plan the impact you're going to have, often you won't recognize it when you're having it."

-Dick Costolo

     I sat in a chair at my therapist's office. It was a slightly uncomfortable chair but I think that was just my nervousness. Mom sat in the chair next to me reading a book. Luckily she hadn't noticed my hands shaking and how I was almost obsessively rubbing them together in an attempt to make them stop shaking. I was never this nervous or angsty about therapist visits. But maybe nervousness wasn't the cause of it. Even thought it felt like nerves, I also kind of felt excited. And I didn't know why.

My eyes fell upon the door of my therapist, Mr. Foster. He's been, basically, my only therapist so I was comfortable around him. He was also really nice and kind - I swear he's like made of magic or something. He always seemed to understand what I was trying to say. Even when I wasn't talking or making sense. It was probably the fact that he was also gay. I only learned that when he mentioned having to cut the session a little short because he had to pick his husband up from somewhere. I had stared at him like he had grown two heads for the rest of the session. It didn't help that mom seemed to already know this and just laughed when I told her I found out.

I glanced at the clock on the wall, the feeling of needing to talk about all of these things bubbling up. He apparently had a new client today so it was one of those long first time meeting you type of things. I was starting to get more twitchy, but I was trying to do something to calm myself. So I thought back to this morning when I woke up next to David.

Just the thought made my heart flutter. I had woken up before David and ended up just staring at him. I watched the different colors that the rising sun painted on his tan skin. His chocolate brown hair sticking up in weird angles from sleep. His lips turned different shades of pink in the lighting. His cheeks were slightly red tinted. Eyelashes just barely avoiding his cheeks. The whole sight was magical and beautiful and I almost didn't want David to wake up so I could stare a little longer. But when he slowly opened his hazel eyes, I stopped breathing for a second. His eyes held mine and I instantly started to blush as David rose, propping his head up on his hand and lazily smiling down at me. I could still feel his voice ringing in my ears, saying good morning to me.

After a second of blanking out I realized that my nervousness/excitement had calmed down. I almost wanted to smile at how just thoughts of David could calm me down. But then the door to Mr. Foster's office opened up and I was on my feet faster than ever. A new wave of feelings washing over me. Words at the tip of my tongue, I was almost about to burst.

But the words died out when my eyes met sparkling green ones.

"Tyler?" I asked without realizing it.

He seemed kind of shocked for a second before responding, "Emiry."

"U-um, hi." I said awkwardly, my cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

Tyler was about to say something when Mr. Foster popped out from behind him. He smiled warmly at me. "Emiry, you ready?" I nodded my head. "Good. Go ahead and sit down. I just need to have a quick chit-chat with your mom."

I shuffled into the room giving Tyler another glance as the door closed behind me. I took a seat on the couch and fiddled with the end of my shirt. And finally Mr. Foster came into the room and I sighed out in relief. He took a seat and scribbled somethings down on his papers.