Chapter 29

Unexpected Residents

As Amra and Caliope walked into the room looking for Elaine and Pronab, she gasped at the sight; the room was chaotic, a chair was upside down but floating towards a corner, there was a window closed but twistedly positioned on the wall, the bed was in order, except for the fact that it was hanging from the ceiling.

When she finally saw Pronab and Elaine, the sight of the room paled in comparison to them. He was leaning on a table shirtless, and Elaine leaned towards him. As she took a closer look, she could notice scars on his back and wounds that were fresh. Elaine's hands were hovering over some of them, healing slowly. "What happened?!"

Elaine turned her head and so did Pronab, who was trying to mask some pain "He will be fine if you let me finish... just healing the last ones..."

"Did you get attacked again here?"

Pronab whispered "no..."

"Then what happened?" Caliope was bordering panic, she walked a few steps closer to them waiting for their answer. Elaine looked at Amra and then back at Caliope, who understood immediately it had something to do with him. She looked at him and pleaded for an explanation 'when did this happen? why is he hurt like this?' where her words in his mind.

'He got the scars when he was taking you to safety.'

'Then why aren't they saying this? is there something more?'

Finally he spoke to all "I was the one who provoked those injuries at him, not on purpose, but by fighting the shadows that were trying to get you."

The fact that he responded directly out loud instead of her mind, was symbolic. A way to accept his part on what happened to Pronab, and also an unspoken apology. Still, one could sense the tension between them, and Caliope closed her eyes, she knew it was because of their kiss. She turned her head around and Amra held her tighter to his side. Quietly, they waited for Elaine to finish healing Pronab. "Ok, we have finished..."

Caliope opened her eyes and turned around, Pronab was putting on a coat and grabbing his cell phone, dialing a number. Elaine walked towards Caliope with a shy smile "Would you need me to help you on anything my dear? you look tense..."

"Please, I am ok... I am glad he... is healed... now? what do we do?"

"We are making arrangements for our change of residence. The Hotel manager is confused as of why we are leaving."

Caliope nodded and found Pronab walking back towards them, he kept visual contact to Elaine and his cellphone, but avoided as much as possible hers and Amra's sight "The car is waiting for us, Maxwell is expecting us."

Elaine sighed "thank you Pronab..."

"Maxwell? we are heading back to his house?"

Amra replied to her before anyone else did "it is the safest place for you to be, he has a fortress and so many of us there that no one would dare to make any attempt... it doesn't matter where we go, you will be safe, I promise you... but for your own good, I think it is best to stay in a place with more of us, and it would be best for us to gather and start to find some answers about what is going on."

Again she nodded, Amra seemed to know her better than she knew herself; the fact that there were more angels around her did make a difference and made her feel safer. They headed again to the door, with one look back, Caliope frowned and looked at Amra "how will you fix this? or you all plan just to turn in the key and let the cleaning staff have a heart attack?"

All three of them turned around and saw the room for the first time as evidence of chaos. Elaine sighed and made a gesture with her hand for them to continue "I will take care of this, now please go, and be ready."