4. Just Desserts

Draco and Hermione entered the Great Hall through the teacher's entrance and found their seats between Hagrid and professor Flitwick. Hermione was immediately enveloped in a large hug by Hagrid and laughed lightly as he held her tight

"Hello Hagrid!" she exclaimed and the half giant pulled back to look at her proudly

"Blimey Hermione I haven't seen you in ages, I see the two of you have accepted Minerva's offer and I'm sure you'll do a great job! You will come and visit me for tea this year won't you 'Mione? Fang would love to see you" Hagrid said, sounding like a proud father. Draco shuffled his feet nervously and held his hand out to the large man,

"Good evening Hagrid... I know we've had our differences in the past and I have treated you terribly. I would very much like to apologise for that" he said and Hagrid laughed loudly,

"Boy, you've been a right git but since Hermione seems to have forgiven you, and for your mother's sake, I'm willing to give you another chance" Hagrid said, shaking Draco's hand enthusiastically. Hermione watched the exchange in amusement, earning a playful glare from Draco when the handshake eventually ended. Draco rolled his shoulder with a wince when Hagrid wasn't looking and shook his head with a chuckle before turning to greet professor Flitwick. The rest of the students filtered into the hall and took their places at the house tables to wait for the sorting of the first years. Many looked up at the teachers table and were shocked to see Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger seated up there with the teachers. Hermione waved to Ginny and a few other students while Draco tried to avoid the questioning eyes of the school on him. Whispers broke out across the house tables that seemed slightly bare of students, many having decided not to return to Hogwarts after the battle; the lowest amount of students being at the Slytherin table, many of whom were too ashamed to come back for one reason or another.

Silence rang out through the hall as McGonagall led in the terrified little first years to stand before the sorting hat. Hermione noted that the hat, although a little worse for wear after Voldemort's attack, was still sitting proudly waiting to sort the new students to their houses. The hat began its start of year song and a sober air filled the room at its wise words, the hat sang of the great losses of the war and the bravery of those that fought. Of the loss of life and the compassion of the brave warriors who worked to defeat Voldemort.

"And I sing to thank the golden three! That fought to save both you, and me. They defeated death and conquered fear; they saved the world that we hold dear. The boy who lived, the girl who knew and the boy who supported through and through! Let's lift a glass and give a cheer, to the three who gave to us another year!" the hat finished off and a round of applause thundered through the great hall; the tiny first years gazing up at Hermione in awe and adoration. Draco grinned at the blushing Gryffindor and she elbowed him lightly as she hid her face in her hands.

"Thank you sorting hat, for another inspiring song to start the school year; now, I will call you up one by one to be sorted, I will place the hat upon your head and you will be sorted into your houses" McGonagall informed the first years and proceeded with the sorting. Hermione and Draco watched in amusement as the young witches and wizards were sorted into the 4 houses, fondly remembering their own sorting 7 years ago.

"Thank you, I hope you are all very happy here at Hogwarts School of witchcraft and wizardry, I am your headmistress Professor McGonagall. I have a few announcements before the feast begins, the first being from our caretaker Mr. Filch who reminds students that the forbidden forest is out of bounds and that several parts of the castle are still under repair. Those parts of the castle are cordoned off by red barrier spells and I ask that you do not attempt to venture through them as they will throw you back and possibly injure you. 7th year and 8th year returning students will be taught together this year and as yet we have not been able to find a new Defense against the dark arts teacher; therefore the various professors will be splitting the duty between themselves except for the 7th and 8th years who will be instructed by Miss Hermione Granger and Mr Draco Malfoy who have returned to Hogwarts this year as honorary head girl and head boy. I ask that you treat them with the respect they deserve and remember that while they are still students of Hogwarts, they are also teachers and therefore have the authority of teachers. Now, May the feast, begin!" McGonagall said, her voice rising at the end and the tables were suddenly brimming with delicious food and drinks.