Preface

Some people rip themselves apart to keep others whole.
-Preface-
-Eveline's POV-

I mindlessly twirl my thick hair between my calloused fingers before my mother's hand slaps my own. I blush and watch myself lower it back into my lap.

"-thank you." I slowly raise my head up in recognition of Alpha Andrew ending his speech.

I only got snips of him encouraging us to stay indoors, away from the war going on outside our boarders. It had gotten so serious, that the Alpha King was getting involved. Our pack wasn't included yet, but we all knew it was only a matter of time.

My mom grabs my forearm and practically drags me to the front stage. "Natalie, Rose, how good to see you!" Most people called me Rose, a childhood nickname, instead of Eveline. Alpha Andrew was extremely close with my family because my dad and my mom were his head warrior, so I guess that name was allowed to be in his word bank.

"Alpha," I say with a nod of my head.

"Your father will be out shortly, he's discussing with the other pack warriors." My mother leaves to converse with the other women after giving me a hug, while I sit back down.

Minutes later my dad walks out with a grim expression but beam immediately when I barricade towards him. "Dad! How was the meeting?"

"It was great baby, no rouges will be getting in here on my watch," he says proudly. I was absolutely a daddy's girl, not to mention I had him wrapped around my finger, he knew it too. "Where's your mom?"

I gesture my head to the far side of the room and he smiles before dipping down to give me a kiss. He jogs over to my mom and wraps his arms around her waist. "Rosie!" I turn around to see my best friend Juniper running towards me.

"Juni!" I laugh as he opens up his arms dramatically and takes me into a hug.

"I missed you!" He whines annoyingly so I roll my eyes and slap away his arm.

"It's been five minutes, doofus." Juniper and I have a love hate relationship. We might as well be brother and sister. "Where's Alyssa? I'd much rather be with her than you." Alyssa was Alpha Andrew's daughter and I was probably just as close with her as I was with Juniper.

"You're so rude. She's in her room." I laugh mockingly and walk up the stairs of our pack house. I don't even bother knocking before bursting in. Alyssa is laying in a heap on her floor and when her head snaps up to look at me, her face is covered in tears. I quickly close the door.

"Alyssa! What's wrong?" I sit next to her and rub her back soothingly.

She hiccups and furiously wipes the tears from her skin. "Y-you can't tell anyone, ok?" I nod and she leans her head on my shoulder. "My dad told me that some rouges were spotted in our territory yesterday, one got away, but they said that they were coming back. He did a little searching, and....there's hundreds of them, Rose."

"Do you think that they'll out number us?" She hesitates before nodding depressingly. I sigh heavily before holding my head in my hands. "I'm sure that there's nothing to wo-"

All of a sudden we hear a loud scream, and the alarms set off. Instinctively, I rush out to help, but Alyssa pulls me back in. "My dad said that if anything happens we need to go through the tunnels."

"But-" She shakes her head at me sadly and it's all I need to make the decision to follow her. She shoves her bed to the side and opens a latch that she crawls through, me following after. We close it behind us after dropping down. The tunnel is completely dark, but Alyssa seems to know her way.

Neither of us dare to speak. Even four feet underground, we're too paranoid that someone will hear us.

After what feels like a few minutes of walking, Alyssa stops unexpectedly and I run into her back. I almost blush, before the grim thought of bodies being slaughtered above us makes my flinch. "We're here."

She opens a door and what used to be dim light, becomes a burst. I close the door behind me and blink my eyes to adjust, looking around the steel room. Children try to comfort their mom's while they cry in pain coming from the physical encounters their mates face. Teens try to look strong but you can tell that they're about to break down. The elders are emotionless, robotic almost. But out of everything I see, my parents aren't one of them.

A small sob escapes my lips and my knees drop to the floor. Alyssa leaves her mother and holds me to her chest.

I stand up, tearing away from her grip, furiously wiping at my face. "Is there a tunnel that leads outside?" I try to sound strong, but my voice breaks at the end.

Alyssa looks at me strangely before pointing to a door. "That one does, are you ok?" Instead of answering, I determinedly walk to the door and open it. Before I close it behind me, Alyssa screams my name. But she didn't bother to stop me.

I need to see my family.