Chapter 2

You never know what you get until you ask.
-Chapter 2-
-Eveline's POV-

I tear off my dress and shift into my grey wolf. The sky is pitch dark and a wolf howls in the distance. I dart through the territory and past the border line.

I've done it.

I wake up and gasp. I'd fallen asleep in the nook of a tree last night after running miles from what was once home. After passing the property line, my connection with the Blue Moon pack was severed and I know everyone felt it.

It's only a matter of time before they come after me. I need to get a move on. I'm about twelve miles beyond the border mark and the sun in still down.

The closet pack is the Black Blood, only seven miles away and home to the Alpha King. I don't know how they will react to a rouge trespassing but I know that my pack wouldn't dare try to get me back if the Alpha accepted me.

I start with a slow trot but eventually start to sprint through the small spaces between the trees.

By the time I've reached Black Blood territory, mixes of orange and pink fill the sky and a yellow orb rises over the forest line. (A/N: Is it just me or could I make a haiku out of this?
Orange and pink sky.
Yellow orb over the bay.
The sun starts to rise.
I did it.)

I hesitate and breath in deeply. I decide to shift, knowing that I'll seem less of a threat if I'm in human form.

I concentrate and allow my bones to break and change, the agonizing pain only lasting for a split second. As much as I'm now uncomfortable being around other wolves nude, I swallow my pride and pass into Black Blood boundaries. This was it.

It was pretty neat actually, every wolf of a pack could feel when a rouge or wolf in general passed into their pack. Therefore it was only a matter of time before they would confront me.

Speaking of...
"Who are you!" A man stands tall in front of me, in jeans alone. He looks very upset and something tells me I caught him on a bad day. Slight power radiates off him, telling me that he's a beta.

"Eveline Thomas," the name brings sourness to my tongue and I nervously bite my lip. He looks beyond angry and I can practically see the steam shooting from his ears.

"Who do you think you are, crossing this territory without permission?!"

"I'm looking for a new pack." He glares at me and I'm forced into submission, lowering my head to stare at the ground.

"We don't take lightly to rouges," he growls lowly," I'll have the Alpha decide your punishment."

My heart breaks into a million fragments, all sharp pieces and stabbing into my sides. I knew what the punishment was for trespassing, but I though that maybe, for some crazy reason, they would make an exception. I guess I was wrong.

"Come with me." I snap my head up and follow the beta with great disgust. Who would wish such a horrible punishment to someone? A punishment of death. He takes off his shirt and throws it at me. I carefully slip it on.

Too soon we're at what I would assume to be the pack house, but it's a lot more extravagant than any other I've seen before.

It represents a German castle, and it stands tall against the mountains and forest around it. I shake nervously. Maybe there was still hope. Perhaps I could sprint, but they would catch me. I could beg, but they would most likely laugh at my desperateness.

My bare skin is chilled by the constant decrease in temperature and goosebumps layer my skin.

"Alpha Thaddeus will be here in a moment," he mumbles. His name sends chills down my back, but it might  just be the weather, it's too hard to tell.

Then it hits. The most amazing smell ever. My first instinct is too look around the front field for a source. Then knowledge does. Adults spent their entire lives telling us how we would know who our mate was. The scent. Then the tingles.

Part of me swarms with giddiness. Another yells survival! This could be my ticket out of death! It's illegal to kill someone's mate unless it's under extreme circumstances.

The floral smell gets stronger and I straighten up. This was it.

He walks out the door. Not only does every one of my senses scream at me to run after him, but I feel an immense amount of power radiating off of the man in front on me.

Him.