Chapter 20

The night continued, Thorin slipping a ring made of Lasgolen gems onto her finger, Ivy reciprocating the act, putting a band of pure gold onto his hand. Thorin got to kiss his lovely bride in front of all the dwarves of Erebor, and everyone moved into the reception hall. There was music and dancing, plenty of food, (and drinks... Bofur took advantage of this service and was currently dancing on the table with a mug of ale in his hand) and lots of laughter. I sat at the table that had been reserved for the company, myself and my mother included. Most of the company had jumped into the action, while others like Balin and Oin talked to themselves as Bombur kept shoveling more food into his mouth. I remained in my seat, watching everyone dancing and celebrating. I saw my parents dance past, smiling and laughing as they moved across the dance floor to the jovial tune. Thorin and Ivy remained at the table at the head of the room, overseeing the reception, smiling and looking lovingly into each others eyes, sharing a kiss every once in a while. I could never imagine Thorin as he is now. Smiling, warm and happy. He was always so cold, distant and angry at me.

I remained seated, watching everyone dance past, observing those around me. I saw some people from school dancing around as well, not paying any attention to me. If I made any eye contact with any of them, they would give me a foul look and look the other way. In times like this, they not only hated me for who I was, but for the treatment I received. I was, in fact, part of Erebor's royalty and in events like this, it was clear to everyone. Not only did I stand up front in the wedding, but I also sat at the special table, reserved for only those of importance, and was waited on by servers, always getting what I wanted when I called for it. I think this angers my peers, as they think of me as low and disgusting, but I was treated the exact opposite right in front of them. I sighed and placed my chin on my hands, getting bored without anybody to entertain me.

I started playing with the edge of the table cloth, twiddling it between my fingers when I heard a sigh from beside me. I looked up to see my mother now occupying the seat beside me, a smile plastering her face while she wiped a few beads of sweat off her brow. I smiled at her and she laughed. "That was quite fun!" She giggled, "I don't think I've danced like that since my own wedding!". I smiled at her, wishing I could have been there to witness the betrothal of her and my father. I can only imagine how they looked at eachother that day, as everyday, even after 13 years of marriage, they look into each other's eyes with a strong, apparent love. "Would you like to go dance with me?" She asks, an upbeat tune now playing on a fiddle. "What about father?" I ask, and she just laughs. "He's gone to drink with Fili... Let's just say we know how it will end" she chuckles, me now laughing too. We both get up and make our way to the dance floor. We start moving along to the tune, our bodies skipping and twirling to the beat. My mother dances so gracefully, like a leaf fluttering in an autumn breeze. Me, on the other hand, looks like an Orc who's warg just bit him in the butt. But it is still fun as we smile and laugh as we skate across the dance floor. When the song ends, a slow song starts to play, and we all make our way back to our seats as Thorin and his bride make their way to the dance floor.

Murmurs of admiration make their way around those watching as Thorin and Ivy have their first slow dance together as a married couple. They look into each others eyes, swaying slowly to the sound of the instruments. A tear escapes Ivy's eyes, and before it can roll off her chin, Thorin wipes it away with his thumb. They both grin at eachother, before she wraps her arms around his neck and kissing him, oblivious to the many people around them. "Aawwhhs" and cheers erupt from those around us, as the slow song comes to an end. When the music strikes up again, it is a more happy tune, and people start to dance again. My mother turns to me with a smile before saying, "I have to go check on your father. Make sure he isn't getting himself into any trouble" she laughs. "I don't think it would be a good thing for royalty to be passed out on the floor after to many drinks". I share a laugh with her before she heads off to find my father. Looking around the room, I see nothing of particular interest, and am almost immediately bored.

I quickly looked around, seeing if anybody would notice if I slipped away for a bit. My mother or father were not in sight, and nobody else seemed to be paying me any attention, so I slowly slipped out of the room. I started making my way through Erebor, taking in the serene surroundings of the hall when there was nobody in them. My delicate footsteps echoed off of the stone, and other than that, it was pure silence. It was so different, wandering the hall without scrutinizing eyes looking down upon me, whispers shared among those who strongly disliked me. For once I was able to walk without being afraid, without my eyes trailing the floor and without wishing I was invisible. But the peace didn't last long, as a feeling arose in my stomach; a feeling of dread. My eyes flickered to the entrance of Erebor. I knew there was something out there and I knew exactly what it was... Orcs.

My stomach turned inside of me and my mouth tasted foul. I knew it. I gritted my teeth, wishing Thorin would have payed attention to me. I silently crept towards the door, unlocking the smaller, everyday-use door to the right of the main one. I peeked around the corner, and my sharp, dragon eyes caught the flicker of torches in the tree line across the plane. The breeze carried the foul stench of Orc and I gagged. They knew what was happening. They knew we were distracted. They would attack in the morning, when most of the men were tired from late night partying, and nobody was prepared for battle. "I have to tell Thorin!" my thoughts immediately told me, but I forced myself to stop running off to find him. He wouldn't believe me. He would yell at me in front of the whole kingdom. He would make them hate me even more. That thought made me more sick than the orcs. My mind battled at what to do, bouncing back and forth from telling Thorin to keeping my mouth shut.

After a long mental debate, I decided not to say anything. The thought of the orcs attacking was dreadful, but I couldn't live out the rest of my life as I do now, an outcast in my own home. After locking the door and double checking to make sure it was definitely shut, I slowly made my way back to the wedding, dragging my feet along the way. A single tear escaped my eyes, but I quickly wiped it away. I felt guilty. Guilty of letting my people down. But they weren't really my people, they where Thorin's people, and they all hated me. I was not about to let them hate me worse. When I re-entered the Hall, everything was winding down. Dwarves were getting up, going to thank Thorin and congratulate him on his new bride, and heading home. Some men remained at the bar, but eventually they would pass out from all the alcohol they consumed or stumble their ways home. I found my mother talking to Ivy, admiring the intricate beadwork on her dress, while Thorin was speaking with my father, who was surprisingly sober at the moment. I sat back down in my chair quietly, waiting for the rest of the guests to slowly make their way home. As I picked at my nails out of boredom, the guilt started to bite at my heart. What if the orcs ended up attacking and killing us all. Everyone would be dead because of me.

When everyone is gone my mother finally turns to me, signaling its time to go. I sigh in relief, getting up and following my parents back home. As they chat about the happenings of the night, I walk behind them, feeling guiltier and guiltier with every beat of my heart. When we finally reach home, I turn straight into my  room, peeling off the thick, velvet dress and slipping into my light nightgown. I crawl between my sheets, burying my head in my pillow as I listen to my mother and father talking softly. My mind is haunted with what-ifs and my stomach feels like it is doing backflips inside my stomach. This is going to be along night.

AN- IM A TERRIBLE AUTHOR!!! I'm so sorry I haven't updated in forever I feel absolutely horrendous! I have recently started school and having a pretty rough time lately, so I have been trying my hardest to write but I don't always have time, and when I do I am just not feeling the greatest, and that does let me write something of quality for you... I wouldn't say this chapter is the greatest but I still hope you enjoy it at least a tiny bit... Anyway thank you to those who are still reading and such, even though I kind of left you for a little bit. Anyways, sorry again, and I promise I will update sooner that I did this time! PS- the picture of Kili and Tauriel I put with this chapter is too perf❤️