Chapter 5

Me and my mother both turn around and look at each other at the same time. She flips aside the long end of her tunic and reveals her sword, glowing blue. "Get up and stomp out the fire" mother says urgently, getting up, stringing her bow. After stepping on the fire and diminishing the glowing embers, I pull out my daggers, readying myself. Mother beckons me to join her behind a mound of earth. I hold my breath in fear and listen to the orcs talk. I don't understand what they are saying but after watching them for a few minutes with their noses in the air I know they have caught a whiff of our scents.

After speaking a while longer, one of them points in our direction, and two of them follow his finger. The rest start off into Mirkwood, leaving the other two to investigate the scent. When they are but a few yards away from us, they stop and look at our fire. One hisses something that must be stating the fact that there was something here only minutes ago. Mother pulls back her bow string and then releases, letting the arrow sink into one of the orcs thighs. It yelps in surprise and looks in our direction. Mother jumps over the mound of earth we were hidden behind and pulls out her sword, leaping in the air and plunging it into the neck of the Orc. I pull out my daggers and leap out at the other one. He swings his club but I evade it by twisting to the right. I throw a dagger and it settles itself in the orcs chest, causing him to cough up blood and fall to his knees. Me and mother look at each other, then back at the orcs who met their fate at the hand of our weapons. "We must move on. Day is almost here and more orcs may be on there way. We will reach the home of my kin by sunrise" mother says, pulling her sword from the orcs back. I do the same with my dagger, using the orcs clothing to wipe it clean of the thick, dark blood. I re-sheath it and we start on our way. The forest is eerie at this time, barely lighted by the sun peaking over the edge of the earth. Shadows are casted over the rough ground and suspicious noises are heard from the shadows. At every sound I jump, mother turning back and laughing at me. I roll my eyes and keep walking.

She walks through the forest, every step intentional, taking routes that do not appear to be the right ones to take. It is clear she knows this place with every inch of her mind and heart. At a small clearing we stop, and she surveys her surrounding. A look of sorrow, but contentment are in her eyes. She must have had some memories here. After sitting still and in silences for a minute or so, she shakes off her thoughts and tells us to walk on.

As she predicts, we reach the home of the elves by sunrise. When I see the large, marble doors, my breath hitches and my eyes widen at its beauty. The sun shines directly on to the white, pearly marble, making it shine and sparkle. The vines climbing up the sides of the entrance are green and elegant, appearing like jewelry framing the doors. As we walk towards the doors, my mother exchanges hand shakes and some elvish words with the guards, and the gates open. As i place my first foot inside the doors, never would I had expected to ever step foot in the kingdom of elves.