5. Belle's New Attitude

The next day came and with it the same routine. My first class was math and I spent every minute in that class gaping at the board pretending that I don't already know all of it. I was in AP Calculus back in California, but since I moved after placement tests were taken I was placed in pre-calc, along with the rest of the average thinkers.

Okay, that wasn't very nice of me, I think I'm just really getting into the whole mindset of a brooder. I used to be such a positive thinker, but it's just so damn hard when I don't even have the sun to cheer me up.

Eventually, after both the bore of Math and British history, lunch came along. I stuffed my binder and pens into my backpack and headed for the library, ignoring the usual grumbling of my stomach. I refused to be out and mingling with people, even if it means starving myself until I get home. Books are my only true companions in this dark and gloomy place.

Belle, stop being such prima donna.

I snapped my head around to see who had said this but no one seemed even remotely interested in me. I shook off a slight shiver and entered the library, heading straight for the fiction section.

Seriously, don't you know excessive scowling causes premature wrinkles? Not that I have to worry about that, being immortal and all.

I froze in my tracks. What was that?

Darling, relax. Thanks to you humans I happen to be very far away from you. The voice was that of a whiny teenaged girl but it was dripping with the irony of some injustice I could not hope guess. I just want to warn you. Stay far away from Evernight Forest or risk losing everyone you love. And then all but the soft drone of murmuring library voices, it was silent.

I stepped away from the fiction section, deciding that surely I'd been reading more fantasy than my brain could handle. I decided to take the invisible girl's advice and look at this day the way I used to. With a smile on my face.

I stepped out of the library smiling at any passerby. The morning fog had lifted considerably and I swear I could almost feel the sun fighting to poke out from a crack in the clouds. Who knew my old smile could make everything look better.

I headed for the cafeteria, giving in to my hunger for the first time since I started school in London. Upon entering, I was shocked to see that most of the school was in it. In my old school, only the nerds sat in the cafeteria. Everyone else sat at picnic tables outside. Here, I suppose it's because of the rain and snow that everyone seems to crowd in it. I went to the line, dreading what would happen once I had received my food and had to find somewhere to sit.

Leaving the line, food in hand, I began to walk in the direction where I recognized some people, hoping the groups they were in were made up of people in my grade. I didn't really know where I was going but I had to sit somewhere so I might as well get the awkward part over with.

"Hey, Belle!" I turned my head and found myself face to face with gorgeous blue eyes and a head of dirty blonde curls. The kind of guy who would have never remembered my name at my old school. Honestly, I couldn't think why this one would. He was sitting among six other above average looking seniors and I was immediately able to recognize the obvious "in group."

"That's your name, right?" he asked, flashing me a crooked toothed grin. Oh the British and their lack of orthodontal care.

"Yeah, um, I don't remember yours, sorry," I turned bright red. He was obviously not expecting that, I mean everyone remembers the school's number one senior hottie. Speaking of the number one senior hottie at this school, why was he talking to me?