A Gift From Above--Ch. 7 Dinner With Dad

Hey, guys! Sorry it took so long to update, I got caught up with things. I tried to make this a longer chapter, to make-up for being late on an update. I hope you enjoy! (:

*************************************************************

We had been staying at Sam’s for about three days now. I got everything I needed to stay here for a little while. I went out and got a portable crib, which sat right next to my bed in the guest bedroom. Right now, everything seemed to be okay. I held Autumn in my arms as I flipped through the different TV channels.

“Jason, dad called me. He wants to do dinner tonight,” Sam said, walking in the room all dressed in a yellow top, and a black dress.

I looked at the clock, it was almost noon and I was still sitting on the couch in my pajama pants, and no shirt. Autumn was still in her pink footie pajamas as well, “Why?”

“Because, Jay, he hasn’t seen you in like three years,” She told me.

“It’s been two,” I corrected her.

“Still, it’s been a long time. He wants to see you. Does he know you all kept Autumn?”

My mom never talked to my father, neither did I, so there was no way for him to know anything about Autumn, “Oh…No,” I said as I gazed into the distance.

“Well that could be a problem.”

“No, I’ll just walk into the restaurant with Autumn, it’ll piss him off,” I said, smiling.

“That’s definitely something you want to do,” Sam said sarcastically, “Now, go get dressed, we need to go pick Autumn out an outfit for meeting her grandpa,” Sam said excitedly.

     I dragged myself off of the couch and into the bedroom. I set Autumn in her crib and searched through my clothes. Finally, I found a white shirt, and on top of that I pulled a navy button up shirt. I left it unbuttoned, and rolled the sleeves up to my elbows. I wore faded jeans with it. When I picked up Autumn, I just picked out a striped one-zee and polka-dot pants. We walked out into the living room to be starred at by Sam,

What is she wearing?”

“Clothes,” I responded, pushing past her.

“No, no. Stripes and polka-dots never go together,” She told me.

“Well I’m sorry for not caring,” I told her, starting to set Autumn in her baby carrier to head out the door.

“Well as a father of a little girl, you’re going to have to learn. Come here, Autty, let Auntie Sam help you out,” Sam said, taking Autumn from me.

“Autty?” Was all I could manage to get out.

“Yep. It’s cute,” Sam said, going into my room and changing Autumn. When she came out, the polka-dot pants where gone and replaced with grey sweat pants.

“Can we go, now?” I whined.

“Yes, now that she matches we may go,” She told me setting Autumn in her baby carrier and carrying her downstairs to her car.

***

When we pulled up into a baby store parking lot, I read the sign, ‘Babies-R-Us’. We walked in with Autumn. Once we got inside of the store, it was like a huge ware-house filled with baby things; cribs, toys, clothes, bottles, everything. It was quite over-whelming. But Sam dragged me to the back where they had little girl’s clothes. Whatever clothing wasn’t pink was purple. Sam seemed to be in heaven, going through the racks of all the baby clothes. Finally, she settled for a white sleeveless dress with big lime green and hot pink polka-dots. I have to admit, it was pretty cute. Of course, Sam also had to pick out a hot pink bow to match. It had an elastic band to fit around her head, because Autumn did not have hair for a bow, yet. We checked out and the cashier complimented how cute Autumn was and we left.