The Plan

Chapter 11 - The Plan

Carmen lived in a two story classic Colonial home, nestled on a quiet street not far from downtown. Constructed almost entirely out of red-brick, it had black shutters with white double-hung windows. Centered around the front door was an elaborate semi-circular portico, which is really just a fancy name for a porch. Four slender columns extending to a second story formed a romantic Romeo and Juliet type balcony.

Huge maple trees stood gracefully on either side of the house, the leaves of which were just starting to turn from green to blazing yellows and fiery orangey-reds. The immaculately landscaped lawn with lush ornamental plants, colorful shrubs and bold everglades put my lawn at home to shame. The elegance of the property looked like something you would expect to see in a Home and Garden magazine. In fact, there wasn't a single broken down household appliance adorning the yard anywhere in sight. But I knew my mom could probably fix them up with one in a jiffy.

I couldn't get past the differences between Carmen's house and my old rickety farm house. Standing on the enormous cement porch wearing my oldest torn jeans and faded black T-shirt, I'm sure I looked like one of the Beverly Hillbillies.

As soon as the door opened and we stepped inside, I heard someone call out in a pleasant voice. “Carmen, is that you?”

“I don't know how my mom does that,” Carmen groaned. “It's like she has bionic hearing.”

Her mom appeared looking like a Stepford Wife, wearing a canary yellow dress with a frilly white apron tied around her tiny waist. Forget the Beverly Hillbillies. This was a scene straight out of Leave It to Beaver. Either that or I just watched way too much TV Land.

As her mom approached, the clatter of her matching yellow heels echoed loudly in the oval parlor. Her chestnut colored hair was perfectly coiffed, framing a breathtaking face with high, delicate cheek bones, a rosy-hued complexion, and piercing blue sapphire eyes. She looked like a young Scarlet O'Hara with make-up so expertly applied that, at first, she didn't seem real.

The instant her gaze fell on me, her shiny red lips parted in surprise. With hands fluttering nervously, she smoothed the front of her dress in one continuous motion after another.

“Carmen dear, you're so late,” her mom said finally, eyes darting back and forth between us. “I was starting to get worried.”

Carmen glanced at her watch. “It’s not even five o’clock. Dad was supposed to tell you that he dropped me off in town and I was bringing a friend home after.”

 “Hi, Mrs. Montgomery,” I said, giving her my best smile. In return, Carmen's mom expressed something very close to disapproval. The frozen smile on her lovely face never quite reached the ice-cold look in her eyes.

I got that reaction a lot.

“Mom, don't be such a snob. This is my new friend, Chaos Killbourne.” Carmen beamed at me proudly like she'd just brought home a new puppy.

Mrs. Montgomery's eyes widened in surprise as she stepped farther into the parlor. “Are you Legacy Killbourne's daughter?”

I nodded.

Just like that, her frosty expression thawed. “I went to school with your mother. I haven't seen her in ages. How is she?”

“Fine.” I mumbled. I was still trying to recover from the icy welcome. Talk about running hot and cold.

“We’re gonna hang out in my room,” Carmen announced.

“Chaos, are you staying for dinner?” Mrs. Montgomery asked, sounding hopeful. I didn’t know what they were having, but it smelled delish.

 “No thanks, I'm not hungry.” I was surprised at how easily the lie fell from my lips. Actually, I was starving. But I'm not big on eating in front of other people. It creeps me out.

“If you change your mind, you are welcome to join us.” She smiled warmly. “Will you excuse me? I've got to get back to my pot-roast.”

I nodded again and watched her walk away.

“Come on, my room’s upstairs,” Carmen called, leading the way.

I followed her up a wide curved staircase. Once at the top, I turned and found Thomas leaning heavily against the banister with one foot propped up on the first stair. When he caught my eyes, he gestured with one hand dismissively as if reading my mind.

“Go have girl-time. I'll be waiting right here when you're done.”

By the time my attention returned to Carmen, she had disappeared. I peeked in several rooms and when I finally found her, I sucked in my breath. Her bedroom looked like a gigantinormous bottle of Pepto-Bismol had exploded. Everything from the canopy bed, to the curtains, the walls, and even the carpeting was pink.

“Don't say what I know you're thinking,” she warned.

“What?” I replied, innocently. “Your room matches your cheery personality.”

“You have issues,” she said, throwing a frilly pink bed pillow at me.

I caught it one handed without looking as I took out my phone with the other to call home. Nobody answered, as usual, so I left a message saying I needed a ride home.

Carmen took off her suede coat and after carefully hanging it up in her perfectly organized walk in closet, she hurried over to a pink roll-top desk, grabbing a brightly colored piece of paper and waived it expectantly in my face. I recognized it immediately as one of the advertisements my mom had printed and placed all over town, announcing the upcoming fall activities at the farm.

“And?” I made it a question.

“I didn't realize you live here.” Carmen shook the paper at me excitedly as if I was supposed to make the connection.

I didn't.

“Don't you see?” she insisted with a twinkle in her eyes. “I did a Google search and your farm attracts thousands of people in the fall. It's the perfect place for the band to play and get exposure at the same time. But what I don't get –” she hesitated, narrowing her eyes – “is why you went all Children of the Corn on me.”

I had a light-bulb moment when I finally understood her concern. “I promise, it's not something out of a slasher film. The ten acre cornfield behind my house is turned into a maze each year. The center of the field is already cleared out and there's even a permanent wooden stage we use for activities and stuff.” She gave me a blank look. “You know, like bobbing for apples, face painting...stuff like that. We even have electricity and outside lights running around the entire maze in case someone gets lost and needs rescuing. It really is the perfect place to have the band set up their equipment.” At this point, I wasn't sure if I was trying to convince her, so much as myself. “And since my house is way out in the boondocks, nobody will be bothered by the loud music.” Smile fading, I gave a shrug. “All I have to do is figure out how I'm going to get this all past my mom.”

“You don't think she'd go for it?” Carmen asked anxiously.

I shrugged. “I'm not sure.”

We both grew quiet. After a moment of thought, she snapped her fingers. “I've got it! What if we turned the maze into a special attraction and called it a Haunted Corn Maze, featuring the band as entertainment? Your mom could charge extra for admission a make a ton of money.”

I had to agree the idea had definite possibilities. Besides, my mom was always trying to come up with exciting new attractions to offer our guests each year.

Carmen smiled at me expectantly.

I caved. “Okay, I'll ask my mom tonight.”  I left out the part where all my mom could do was give me a big, fat NO, and ruin my life.

Better to remain positive.

Besides, I had a sneaky suspicion that a blossoming friendship hinged on getting the right answer.

No pressure.