Fight To The Death

Chapter 40 - Fight To The Death

Vycandor gave me a long, hard, satisfied look as if the display of him throwing his little temper tantrum and ripping off almost all of his clothes, was enough to make me change my mind.

It wasn't.

Instead, it had quite the opposite effect. I enjoyed the show. What didn't seem to register with him was the fact that I'd left my I give a crap in my other outfit. So, basically, he could take off all of his clothes and it still wouldn't affect me.

"Listen to me very carefully, Chaos, because this is going to be the last time I make this offer. After you do what you were born to do and wipe mankind off the face of the earth once and for all, you will come back to the castle where you will be mine. Do you understand?" Flashing his fangs, every word he'd said was edged with anger .

Scary how something so disturbingly beautiful could be so deadly.

It was kind of hard to take him seriously looking like that. His voice, so hostile, made me smile. At first anyway. Right then, I couldn't tell if he was a zombie or a vampire. I decided on the latter.

Narrowing my eyes, I insisted, "I'm not a vampire groupie. I will never use my power to destroy anything, with the exception of you and this castle, that is. And I will also never, ever, ever bow down to you. Do I make myself clear?" My voice mirrored his when I added, "However, there is one thing I will do for you. I promise to do everything in my power to stop you from carrying out your diabolical plans for world domination."

To show him I meant business, my stomach clenched as I uncurled the power, holding it like a loaded weapon. I may not have worked with Serenity to be able to control and manipulate the fire burning deep within my body, but I did manage to be pretty decent at everything else.

Vycandor must have sensed it too, because he stepped back. I was just about to unleash my fury, taking my revenge for what he did to my friends when in a cry of sudden outrage something rumbled deep in his throat. As if caught in a wintry snow storm a strong breeze swept up my long hair, brushing it against my cheeks like an icy caress.

Judging from the smug look on his face, I could tell he was enjoying himself.

My turn.

I reached inside to pull out a sizzling current of energy, and forcefully launched it at him. The blow landed on his center, just below his chest, but above his waist where – cross my fingers – it would hurt the most.

Vycandor staggered backwards without falling. Damn. Standing up, he recovered quickly. Almost too quickly in my book.

"Most impressive," he snarled. He didn't mean it as a compliment. I could tell. Something in his voice surprised me. Gone was the velvety smoothness. In its place was the hollow sound of empty words. Or maybe, just maybe, that's what a monster was supposed to sound like.

"Gee, thanks," I replied. I didn't mean it either.

The edge of violence I saw in his eyes promised he could hurt me even from a distance. I felt his raw power raging just under the surface. Then without any warning at all it erupted out of him, spilling over the dungeon in massive rivulets of freezing energy.

I recoiled in horror as everything about him turned menacing. Well, more menacing than usual. His muscles started to swell. His face screwed into a fierce, bestial scowl. His eyes blazed with hunger. Raising massive arms in the air – fingers tipped with impossibly long claws – he poised them directly at my throat and let out a roar that almost knocked me clean over.