Something Wicked This Way Comes

Chapter 33 - Something Wicked This Way Comes

Hovering in the doorway, I self conscientiously reached up to smooth my wind blown hair knowing I probably looked like a red hot mess. Smelled even worse. If Serenity noticed, she didn't act like it. Wearing a deep purple floor length cloak complete with a hood that draped along her shoulders, Serenity's long, shiny hair – so black it looked almost blue – spilled all the way down her back. With exotic dark brown eyes, high cheekbones, shiny red lips, and a delicately pointed chin she reminded me of a China-doll. The shocking luminescence of her ivory skin stood out in sharp contrast against her jet black hair, which only made her appear that much more mystical.

Serenity reached out a graceful hand expectantly, as if waiting for me to take it and introduce myself.

I glanced down momentarily, trying hard to decide whether or not I wanted to touch her. As usual, the debate in my head caused a strained silence. For once I didn’t want to seem rude so, taking a deep breath, I cautiously extended my arm.

“My name's Chaos.”

We shook hands and weird images began to flood my mind right away. The effect reminded me of watching a movie, only in fast forward. There were too many things to separate, and for some strange reason all the images seemed out of order.

That had never happened to me before.

She definitely gave me a dark feeling. It didn’t scare me so much as it confused me. I tried pulling back my hand and failed. Instead of letting go, she only tightened her grip in response.

I let out a yip of surprise when her body began to shudder. Head falling to one side, mouth hanging open, her eyes rolled creepily into the back of her head until only the whites showed.

She was seriously beginning to freak me the freak out.

I craned my neck to search for another exit because her twitchy body was blocking the front door. Finally, she stopped jerking. Eyes slowly returning to normal, the look on her face told me she’d just witnessed something terrible.

She wasn’t the only one.

When Serenity spoke, her voice was slow and deliberate. “Chaos, I’ve been waiting for you.”

Why is everyone all of a sudden waiting for me? I'm not the Easter Bunny.

I blinked in surprise. “Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean?”

“Why don’t we sit down and have a little talk while we enjoy our coffee.”

I watched her walk away, expecting me to follow. Which I did. But only because she'd used the magic word. Coffee.

We zigzagged through the house, ending up in a cozy room in the back with a blazing fire already burning brightly in the fireplace. Serenity motioned for me to sit down before she walked out of sight momentarily, only to reappear seconds later carrying a silver tray, which she carefully placed on an elegant table in front of us.

Hesitant, I sat down on a comfortable black leather couch and watched as she poured my favorite steaming hot liquid into two purple mugs from a silver carafe, never taking my eyes off her. I could tell I was making her nervous when her hands began to shake.

It's normal for me to be cagey around strangers. Especially after what had just happened. I didn't plan on letting my guard down twice. Thankfully, I didn't sense any trouble from her.