Chapter three

Maybe it was meant to be this way.

Maybe we we're were meant to be taken over, wiped out of existence. Us humans are only prodigious.

We're so new and young. Maybe wiping us out is turning things back to normal,maybe the world will finally get back into the swing of things.

Maybe we were just an experiment, a trial failed, so this is how some higher force is wiping us out, by letting someone else do the dirty work.

Maybe the planet is theirs now.

.     .     .

Reagan

" And explain to me again why you want to go to a house party when that's  right outside our window?," he asks me referring to the terrifying space ship hovering above Cincinnati. I could tell him he's being mellow-dramatic, but in this case I'm just being stubborn. 

" Because Laura invited me dad."
It's day three of the strange craft appearing in the sky and madness hasn't even erupted yet. Nobody knows where it came from, or what it's doing here. I don't question things I can't even begin to explain but because he's a " responsible " adult he thinks he knows better than me. And just because he doesn't want me to go doesn't mean I care much for his conspiracy theories.

" Laura... Who ?," he asks reluctantly " Laura Michealson," the one who moved here from Umber last summer," I've known Laura since she was two years old, dad, we took baths together for god's sake,'' he stares at me, wide eyed, confused.

" Listen to yourself Reagan, you're not thinking straight"

I sigh, knowing I'm not getting anywhere with this, he thinks I don't understand, he thinks I can't intrepid the situation, but I can, and I do, I know, somewhere inside of me, I know he doesn't want to let anything happen to me, I know he stills looks at me like his fragile flower, I know.

'' There's a curfew, the city's council announced it, you know this,'' he says with a dangerous edge in his voice. I nod, ever since this thing showed up, it's lock down the hatches, stock the cupboards, we're lucky the city didn't close it's borders. Maybe I should just listen because I know there's no convincing him, my stubborn father. '' I'll only be there for an hour or two, just to visit, say hi, catch up a bit ?.''

'' I can't listen to this anymore, just.... could you run to the super market, grab us some groceries, there's a list in the kitchen, I'll be downstairs, if anything happens, call me,'' I nod again and he pats my shoulder,'' be safe,'' he says compassionately, ''you too dad,'' he gives me a warm smile and walks away.

He pretends not to listen, but I know he does. That's why I'm going anyway.

.     .     .

While in the store, I realize it's more crowded than usual. And there's barely anything left of well, Anything. I'm not surprised, impending apocalypse and all.

I instinctively go to the cereal isle. Because when the world ends, you need cereal.

I guess I've seen twenty eight days later and Independence Day far too often to know that our lazy, unprofessional, and unpredictable government isn't going to do anything about it. But what do I know? I'm young, probably dumb and I know nothing about the world.

With my hands on the cart, I scavenge the area and all I manage to find are those raisin or oat filled nutritious cereals that no one likes and I grab a box of choco-raisins, that can't be too bad, chocolate fixes everything.

I remember that I memorized dad's list in my head, so I grabbed, or tried to grab would I could manage to find and proceeded to check out.

After packing the bags of groceries myself because there was no one to do it for me, I walked outside, still a bit startled as I noticed the ship hovering above me and I stepped back into my mini convertible that my dad rented for me. I played with my hair and put it in a ponytail before I noticed that my phone was buzzing, and guess who was calling. Laura.

Naturally, I put it on speaker phone and listened for that all too familiar voice.

" Hi Reagan! I'm so happy I got the chance to actually grab you. Are you still coming tonight ?," she asks.

" Yeah, but I might be a bit late, stuff to do.." I reluctantly say back. She sighs.
" That's alright, just be there, you still remember the address ?," she asks referring to the address of her house.
" Yeah... Of course, I wouldn't forget."

After that conversation ended, I hurried back to the house, where awaiting for me was my father.

We ate dinner together, Chinese take-out to be exact and watched tv, not speaking much, not knowing what to say. Soon enough, he stood up, gave me his classic shoulder pat and went to bed.

It was my time to go.

Hope that was okay !, the next one will be much longer, thank you to all the people who are reading my book, xoxo,- Maya.