Chapter Five

Author's Note: Unedited, I apologize for any grammar mistakes.

Chapter Five

Long story short, Declan wasn't overly enthusiastic about me kicking him. Before any more conflict could emerge from the situation, I turned on my heel and headed towards the kitchen. Soon enough, Alex was at my side.

"You shouldn't go anywhere alone," He warned me.

"Whatever," I said flatly, pulling out an unopened bottle of club soda from the pantry. I'd found it the other day when the boys went for beer, now seemed like a good time to trick myself into thinking I was drinking. I needed a clear head and calmness before I took Declan's head off his shoulders.

"What happened at homecoming?" He casually asked. I bit my lip and fidgeted with whatever I could to keep my eyes fixated somewhere else. Alex leaned against the counter and rested his hand on top of mine. I paused.

"Your brother," I answered as vaguely as possible. Even now, when things so trivial didn't matter, I still cared.

"Well, I gathered that," Alex chuckled. "You don't need to tell me-"

"But you want me to," I finished. His blue eyes were almost sad when he saw the expression on my face. Now was one of those times where I couldn't hide what I was feeling.

"Declan told this guy that I would- he had this guy ask me to homecoming with certain untrue expectations," I confessed. "I ended up crying in the bathroom."

Alex didn't say anything. He just stared at me with his eyebrows scrunched up. I got quiet and stared at my shoes on the floor. There was a spot of dried blood on the toes I hadn't noticed before.

"That's it?"

"No," I shook my head. "My date wasn't too happy to find out that I wasn't the way he thought."

"Let me get this straight: my brother had the nerve to tell someone to ask you out with the promise of a hook-up?" Alex looked disgusted. "Imogen, I'm so sorry."

I closed my eyes and breathed deeply. "Sorry that I brought my sob story on you."

"What he did wasn't ok," He replied. "I'm sorry. He totally deserved to get kicked in the nuts."

I laughed and fiddled with the zipper on my jacket. "I'm gonna go take watch."

He insisted on coming too, so I brushed past Declan on my way up the stairs and- without looking at him- flipped him off.

The skyline was lit tonight. Since that wasn't at all what I was expecting to see, I dropped my gun and stared. Alex got to my side and caught a glimpse at the power. We had to leave the city fast, because that was a sign of military forces. They weren't exactly kind to any other survivors.

"What's up?" He frowned. "The power?"

"Military," I clarified.

"What's wrong with that?" He asked, taking my hand.

And I told him...

Before everyone in the group was killed, and I infected, we were raiding a supermarket. The band of survivors I lived with consisted of a pregnant woman (hence the baby getting them killed), one little girl, and two ex-military men. We were going through the shelves, trying to find some medications. The woman was going into labor soon and we needed pain relief.

"Do you see anything?" She called over to me, her hand clasped around the little girl's. Both of them looked so tired.

I rounded the corner and buried the end of my pickaxe in the face of a Creature. Stepping over the body, I grabbed a first aid kit and some aspirin from the bottom shelf. All the prescriptions were raided from the shelves, nothing powerful enough to possibly make childbirth easier. If I were her, I wouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place.