Chapter 3

According to the doctor, I had broken my leg pretty badly, and was on strict bed rest until further notice. I was not allowed to walk around, or get up for any reason, unless it was to use the bathroom. Other than that, I could pretty much do what I wanted... as long as I didn't get out of bed. The doctor put a cast on my leg and allowed me to leave the hospital with medication that I needed to take every three hours. He said it was to help dull the pain. He said because of my leg being broken pretty badly, the pain would be rather unbearable, so I would need to take the pills frequently. 

Seeing as I had nowhere else to go, Larry took me to his apartment. He saw the look on my face when we drove straight past the museum, but said that he was only following the doctor's orders. He promised that he would bring Ahkmenrah to see me every night. That cheered me up a little bit. Larry helped me to the spare room, and placed a few pillows under my leg. 

"Are you hungry?" he asked me. 

I shook my head. "No, I'm just tired."

Larry nodded. "Ok. Well, you should probably try and get some sleep. I have to head back to the museum, but I'll send Nicky home to watch over you." 

"No, that's really not necessary. I can take care of myself," I started to protest, but Larry only shook his head. 

"Crystal, you heard the doctor. You can't get up for any reason, unless it's to use the bathroom," Larry said. 

I sighed, leaning back onto the pillows. "I know, it's just... I've never had someone take care of me before, so it's all so new," I told him. 

Larry smiled. "I'm sure it is, but I really gotta run. Nicky will be back here within a half-hour," he promised. 

I nodded. "Okay." 

"Try and get some sleep. It looks like you need it." 

I only lifted a hand and waved it at him. "Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, doctor.

Larry laughed. "I'll lock the door." 

"Mm-hmm," I said, already falling asleep. 

"Crystal," Nicky's voice broke through to me. 

"Mm..." I said. 

"Crystal, wake up," Nicky tried again. "You need to take your pill." 

"No, go away..." I said, trying to find his body so I could push him away. 

Nicky chuckled and said, "Come on, just hurry and take it so you can go back to sleep." 

"Mm-mm..." I mumbled. 

Nicky sighed and said, "Ahkmenrah's here..." 

That woke me up. I opened my eyes and turned to look for him, only to find Nicky the only one in the room with me. I glared at him. "Not funny..." 

Nicky laughed. "Here," He handed me a glass of water and my pill. 

I swallowed it, then shuddered as I felt it sliding down my throat. It didn't really have the best taste, either. "Ugh. I hate taking pills..." 

Nicky laughed. "They aren't that bad." 

"Yeah, that's what you think," I said, laying down again. "What time is it?" 

Nicky checked his phone. "Three forty-five. Dad will be home in about a half-hour, then he'll bring Ahkmenrah back here later." 

I nodded. "Kay. I'm going back to sleep. I was sleeping so well before I was so rudely interrupted." 

Nicky laughed and walked out, shutting the door behind him. 

The next time I woke up, it was because someone was rubbing my hand. I turned my head and opened my eyes to see Ahkmenrah sitting on a chair by my bed.  He was rubbing soothing circles into the back of my hand. He smiled when he saw me looking at him. 

"How are you feeling?" Ahkmenrah asked me.

I shrugged. "I'm okay. My leg kills like crazy, but I'm okay." 

A frown appeared on Ahkmenrah's face. "I'm sorry this happened." 

"It wasn't your fault," I told him. "I just need to learn how to have better balance." 

He laughed. "I guess I could have reached out and steadied you," Ahkmenrah shook his head. "I feel terrible." 

"Hey," I whispered. "To me, it seems like no matter what this would have happened eventually. So don't worry about it. It was just an accident waiting to happen." 

He smiled. "I suppose you're right," His smile faded and he searched my face for something. I don't know if he found what he was looking for or not, but at the moment, I didn't care. All I wanted was for this moment to last forever. Not the part where I'm in bed because of a stupid broken leg, but the part where we are just together like this. That's all that mattered. Nothing else seemed important to me. 

"What are you looking at?" I whispered to him. 

"You," he smiled. "You're so beautiful." 

I smiled as well. "You're pretty good-looking yourself." 

He laughed again, but this time it was just as Larry and Nicky entered the room. "What's so funny?" Nicky asked. 

"Crystal just said she thinks I'm good-looking," Ahkmenrah explained, keeping his eyes on me the entire time. 

"It's true," I stated. "Haven't you ever been told that before?" 

He shook his head. "Not by anyone I cared about." 

I smiled, feeling my face heat up. At that moment, I desperately wanted him to kiss me. I really wanted him to kiss me. It seemed as though he wanted that as well. Because when I looked into his eyes, I saw love and longing. And I was sure that same look was reflected in my own eyes. 

Ahkmenrah bent his head and briefly touched his lips to mine. The moment our lips met, I felt my lips begin to tingle, and my face burn like hot water had just been dumped on it. It was an amazing feeling. Fireworks were going off in my head, and I never wanted to forget this moment. Apparently, Ahkmenrah didn't want to either, because he kissed me again. 

"Alright, enough," Larry said. "We're here too, you know." 

Ahkmenrah and I pulled apart and laughed. "Sorry..." I muttered while smiling. 

My eyes found Ahkmenrah's face... and I knew at that moment, being around people wasn't as scary as I thought. I was just afraid of being rejected by people. But I didn't need anyone to tell me that. Larry, Nicky, Ahkmenrah, and everyone else at the museum wouldn't reject me. In a way, they were like friends to me. 

And right now, that's all I needed.