Chapter 11

Third-person POV

Ahkmenrah blinked and looked around. He was in a large room with a bed and a balcony, the doors open and the curtains blowing gently in the wind. Confused, he stepped out onto the balcony and placed his hands on the railing. As he looked down below him, he saw many people in fields. They were carrying bundles of wheat and straw on their backs, and they wore white linen clothes.

Farther out, there was a long, winding river, the sun glinting off its surface. "Pharaoh Ahkmenrah," A voice behind him said.

He turned and saw a young girl of no more than 21 standing before him. The girl got down on her knees and placed her face into the carpet, bowing to him. She stayed there, and Ahkmenrah figured he should say something, so that she would stand.

"Um... arise?" he spoke uncertainly.

The girl stood and clasped her hands in front of her. "Your father wishes to speak with you."

"My father?" Ahkmenrah frowned. This didn't make any sense. His father had passed on long ago, just before he was killed. "My father is dead."

The young girl gave him a strange look. "Are you feeling alright, my King?" she asked.

"Why are you calling me that? I'm not your king. I can't be," Ahkmenrah stated, feeling eternally lost.

"But you are," she said. "You were made Pharaoh yesterday morning. Do you not remember?"

Ahkmenrah shook his head slowly. "No..."

"Well, that does not matter. Your father is waiting," The girl disappeared, leaving Ahkmenrah alone in the room.

"Father?" Ahkmenrah called out, as he slowly walked down the steps of the large palace.

"My son," A voice spoke.

Ahkmenrah glanced up and saw his father standing there, a few feet away from him. "You're supposed to be dead..."

Merenkahre gave his son a strange look. "What are you talking about, son?"

Ahkmenrah shook his head. "You died so many years ago..."

His father met his gaze coldly. "I do not know what you are speaking of, but it will stop this instant. Do I make myself clear?"

"Okay..." Ahkmenrah responded, unsure about what was going on at the moment.

"Come, son," Merenkahre said. "Let us walk the fields and watch your people work."

My people? Ahkmenrah thought. What is going on? Ahkmenrah followed his father out the door and down the steps into the hot sun. Which made him wonder... The sun is up. I should be in my sarcophagus... what is going on?

"Father, what is happening?" Ahkmenrah asked, turning to face the man before him. "I don't understand any of this."

His father turned to face him. "You wished to be brought back to this time, and so here you are."

Ahkmenrah's eyes nearly rolled out of his head. "I... I went back? No, that's not possible."

Merenkahre nodded. "My son, your tablet has many powers, plenty of secrets. You wished you had never met Crystal. So you returned to this time."

Ahkmenrah shook his head. "But I didn't want to go back to this time. I just wished I never met her."

Merenkahre shrugged. "Were you thinking about this life before you spoke your wish?"

"Yes, but-"

"But nothing. You wished for this to happen, and so it happened," Merenkahre watched his son.