Chapter 15

Nicky appeared in the doorway of Ahk's tomb. "Crystal, we're leaving."

It was 5:30, and the sun was beginning its escalation in the sky. I had spent the entire night in Ahk's tomb with him, terrified of facing Lar-I mean dad. Sighing, I stood up and began to turn away, but Ahk's gentle grip on my wrist stopped me.

I turned back around to see his face, and saw love in his eyes. "Crystal, it's going to be okay."

Tears came to my eyes as I thought about what was going to happen at the apart-I mean home. Nodding, I wrapped my arms around him, and he held me close. "I have to go..." I whispered to him, just before letting go.

Ahk leaned down and gently kissed my lips, sending sparks through my body. I pulled away and disappeared with Nicky, knowing that what was about to come, would make me want to turn right around and come back to Ahk's loving, protective arms.

I sat on the couch, hands folded, head down, knowing what would come next. Dad slammed the front door and turned to stand in front of me. "Out of all the irresponsible and reckless acts you could do, you had to pick that one!"

I kept my eyes down, trying hard not to cry. Yes, I did something stupid and irresponsible, but did he really have to yell?

"I mean, honestly, Crystal, what were you thinking?" dad demanded to know.

I finally glanced up, tears in my eyes. "I'm sorry."

Dad only shook his head and replied with, "Sorry isn't going to cut it, Crystal."

"I said I'm sorry, what more do you want?" I asked him, the tears flowing freely now.

He sighed. "Just go your room."

"But-"

"Go!" he ordered.

"You're not my father!" I snapped at him.

"Yes, I am, Crystal," Dad snapped back.

"I didn't ask you to be!" I fired back.

Dad went silent, shock and hurt clearly evident in his eyes. He stared at me for a moment, before disappearing to his room, shutting the door behind him. At that moment, I realized what I had done... and I collapsed to the couch and cried. To me, it felt like I cried for hours, when it was probably only minutes... but I couldn't be sure.

Nicky was suddenly at my side, brushing hair away from my eyes. He took my hands in his own and pulled me towards him, letting me cry against his chest. "Shh..." he said. "It's okay, Crystal. I promise he still loves you, and he isn't mad. He's just worried about you. You've been through a lot lately."

I pulled away to look into his face. "But does that really mean he has to yell?"

Nicky gave me a small smile. "Things have been hard on all of us lately. You have to remember... nothing affects just you anymore. It hurts all of us."

I sighed. Nicky was right. My life had expanded to a point where I could see everything around me, not just what was in front of me. It's like I have new eyes, and I'm experiencing the world for the first time. But, I was still human. I was bound to have a few flaws.

"You're going to make mistakes," Nicky continued. "But that doesn't mean you can't try and fix them every now and again," He gave me a knowing look.

Looking away, I frowned. I knew what he meant... and I also knew what I had to do... but it didn't mean I had to like it.

"Dad?" I called out to him through the closed door. I didn't hear anything for a moment, but after waiting a few seconds, the door opened and dad was standing there looking more exhausted than I've ever seen him before. "Um..." I tried to think of what I needed to say to him. "I'm... sorry that I got upset... I didn't mean what I said... I was just... upset..." I trailed off, feeling stupid and embarrassed for basically repeating everything.

A sigh escaped dad's lips and I knew he was going to yell at me some more... but it never came. So I waited a little longer... but still nothing. I looked up to see him staring down at me, a faint trace of a smile on his lips. Confused, I frowned. "Dad? Are you okay?"

Without speaking a word, dad pulled me in for a hug. "I'm okay. And I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't have yelled at you."

"You had every right to," I mumbled into his chest.

"Even if I did, that doesn't necessarily mean that I should," dad told me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eyes. "How about we make a deal? From now on, instead of yelling when we get upset, we'll just... calmly talk it out."

"Okay. That sounds fair," I smiled up at him, my sadness and anger forgotten.

Dad smiled and leaned down to kiss my head. When he pulled back, there was a stern look on his face. "Now go... get in the shower. It's almost time for bed."

I laughed and disappeared into my room. Maybe having a family isn't as bad as I thought...

I dreamed of everything. Nicky, dad, and everyone at the museum as my family. Kahmunrah trying to find me, Dr. McPhee locking me in Ahk's tomb... It was all so strange, seeing it blur in my mind. It was the same thing over and over again. Family, Kahmunrah, McPhee, all in one continuous circle, never slowing, never ending.

When I woke up that night, I felt happy and refreshed. Dad and Nicky looked up as I entered the kitchen. Dad smiled at me, as did Nicky. "Night, Crystal."

I smiled back at dad, and gave him a hug, wrapping my arms around him. "Night."

"You hungry?" Nicky asked me.

Shrugging, I sat at the counter and just stared out the window and the night sky and everything below it. For once, I felt truly happy. For once, I felt safe and secure. For once, I had a place to stay. Permanently this time. For once... I felt home.