Chapter 14

My vision continually blurred as tears streamed from my eyes. But then again, I didn't need to see where I was going, because I've already been down this path again and again. I knew the way to the museum; I didn't need a map. There were a few people coming up and down the steps of the museum as I ran closer and closer to the entrance. They gave me weird stares as I bolted up those steps and through the doors.

"Crystal!" I heard Dr. McPhee shout out behind me. 

But I ignored him. There was only one thing on my mind: Ahkmenrah. Even though it was barely 7:00, and I knew Ahkmenrah wouldn't be awake and moving around for about 10 more hours, I raced to his tomb. The second I got there, I collapsed to the floor. 

I balled my hands into fists and closed my eyes, letting the tears fall to the floor. This couldn't be happening. "Crystal," Dr. McPhee's voice rang out behind me. 

I heard him walk up behind me. But the minute he touched my shoulder, I screamed at him to leave me alone. He tried to talk to me, but I screamed again. "Leave me alone!" I turned around and tried to push him off of me, but he backed up before I could reach him. 

Sighing, Dr. McPhee backed out of the room and pulled the gates shut. I stared at him, tears still dripping off my face, and wondered what he was doing. He pulled out a key and locked the gates. I ran to the gate in panic, screaming at him to let me out. 

"This is for your own good," he said, just before walking away. 

I screamed and kicked at the gates, wanting to be let out, but knowing it was no use. Sinking to the floor, I began crying again. Everything was going wrong. First, I find out that Larry and Nicky adopted me, then I get locked in an exhibit. What else would go wrong today?

I cried for hours and hours. There were many reasons why I cried. I cried for having no family. I cried for nearly being killed by Kahmunrah. I shed tears for the fight I had with Ahk. I sobbed for nearly losing him. Next, I cried for becoming a part of Nicky and Larry's family. I cried because I was locked in an exhibit, and stupid McPhee wouldn't let me out. I cried because my life just plain sucked.

I'm not sure what time it was, but it was late enough to know that the sun was setting. I knew that because all the people slowly started leaving, and the noise began to die down. When it was finally silent, I began crying again... this time because I was all alone. I sunk to the floor and buried my head in my arms. The tears fell onto my arms, and I knew soon enough Larry and Nicky would come looking for me. 

I heard a light rattle, then something heavy being pushed across stone. I looked up to see Ahkmenrah getting out of his sarcophagus. He paused when he saw me sitting there. "Crystal?" he frowned. "What are you doing here?" 

As I looked at him, I felt tears come to my eyes. I took in a staggered breath and began crying again. Ahkmenrah came to my side and knelt down next to me. He removed my hands from my face and took them in his own. "Crystal," he whispered. "What's wrong?" 

"Larry and Nicky adopted me today," I told him, my eyes glued to the ground. 

"Really? Crystal, that's amazing!" Ahkmenrah said with a smile. 

The tears started up again. "No, it's not!" I bawled. "It's terrible!"

Ahk frowned and cocked his head to the right. "Why is that terrible? You should be happy." 

"Because I'm not good enough to be in their family!" I told him. "I'm a disappointment to everybody!" 

Ahk sighed and took me into his arms. He held me close and tight, letting me lean into him while I cried. After a few moments, he gently pushed me back and said, "Crystal, you are not a disappointment. Everyone loves you, and you are good enough to be in their family." 

I started to protest, but Ahkmenrah wouldn't let me finish. "Crystal, whether you like it or not, you are their family. We are your family. Everyone at the museum loves you. You've changed our lives, and we don't know what we would do without you." 

"Crystal!" Nicky's voice rang out. 

I looked up to see him at the gates, gripping the bars tightly. I turned away and leaned into Ahk again. He held me close, not wanting to let me go. 

"Dad, she's in here with Ahk!" Nicky called out, disappearing for a second, then returning just as quickly. 

Larry soon appeared next to him. "Crystal!" he said. He pulled out a key and unlocked the gates. He entered the room and came to stand next to me. "Crystal, what in the world were you thinking?" he said, an angry and worried look on his face. "You can't just run off like that. Nick and I have been looking everywhere for you! Do you know how worried we've been?" 

I looked up at him once and instantly regretted it. Tears came to my eyes as I saw how angry he was. "I'm sorry!" I cried, leaning into Ahkmenrah again. Ahk rubbed my back and kissed the top of my head, all while holding me tightly. 

"Why did you run off?" Larry wanted to know. 

When I didn't answer, he tried again.

"Crystal?" 

Ahk stood up and began speaking to him. "Larry, I think it's best that you give her some space right now. She's really upset." 

"She's upset?" Larry was incredulous. "What about me and Nicky? We've been looking for her for five hours!" 

Ahk held up his hands. "I understand that, but you don't know why she's crying. And you yelling isn't going to make it any better." 

Larry shook his head. "Crystal, get up. You're leaving." 

I stood up, but didn't leave the room. "What? No! I don't want to leave." 

Larry-I mean, dad looked at me. "Now, Crystal. I don't want to hear it." 

"I'm not leaving!" I said, crossing my arms and pouting like a five-year-old. 

"Dad-" Nicky tried to cut in, but Larry wouldn't allow it.

"Crystal, don't make me drag you out of here," he threatened.

I stepped closer to Ahk, and he wrapped an arm around me. "Larry, I really think-" 

Larry glared at him. "Not now, Ahk." 

Ahk sighed and said, "Crystal, you better go." 

I looked up at him, shocked. "But I don't want to go! I want to stay here with you!" I cried, clinging to his arm. 

Ahkmenrah looked down at me, exhaustion and sadness on his face. "Larry..." he tried again, looking at him. 

Larry threw his hands in the air. "Fine! You want to stay here, go ahead. But we are not done discussing this. You are in so much trouble." 

Larry walked out, and as soon as he disappeared down the hallway, I burst into tears. "See?" I turned to Ahk. "I told you! I'm not good enough to be in their family! He doesn't even love me!" 

Nicky came over as well, and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Crystal, he does love you. He's just worried and a little scared because you ran off." 

I pulled away from Nicky and clung to Ahkmenrah, who placed me on top of his sarcophagus. "Crystal, look at me," he said, cupping my face. When I did, he brushed my tears away and gave a small smile. "I promise Larry loves you. He was just worried because he couldn't find you after you ran off. If the situation were reversed, wouldn't you be worried as well?" 

I gave a slight nod and pouted some more. A stray tear escaped down my cheek, but was immediately caught by Ahk. "Do you understand why he was acting that way?" 

I nodded again, still pouting. 

"Ok. Look at me... Crystal, I love you. Everyone else here loves you as well. You are our family. Nothing will ever change that," Ahk spoke softly to me, and with every word he leaned in a bit closer. By now, he was inches away from my face, and I could feel his warm breath on my skin. "Don't be upset..." he whispered, his lips brushing against mine. "Larry loves you, as does Nick. Ok?" 

I couldn't move. I was transfixed and mesmerized by how close he was to me. Ahk must have known that I was fine now, because he smiled and said, "I love you," before kissing me gently, and letting me know that everything was going to be okay.