Chapter 11: Raid

Legolas' PoV

It was the end of the journey for me. I sought out to accompany Aragorn to where he must go and now he was here. Although, I knew not of the exact whereabouts of the Dunédain for they are a secretive group and spread among many lands. Either way, I knew Aragorn knew what he was doing and where he was going. We stopped short to a place where a path parted to form two paths that went in different ways.

"Are you sure you do not wish to come along with me further?" He asked, with slight disappoinment. I shake my head no, giving him one of my 'rare' smiles. He rolled his eyes as he motioned for his horse to move towards the path on the right.

"May the stars shine upon your journey, Strider," I call as I gesture towards him with my hand from my chest as to how elves would say farewell. He gestures the same.

"I believe I shall see you soon, Legolas." He calls back as he starts his journey alone. From where I was, I could see the faint outlines of an old forest up ahead. I watched until he disappeared even from my sight and turned to go back where we came. What was I to do now? To have come such a long way to just go back? No. I shan't do such a thing. Perhaps I will visit the many places I had long to see as a child. Like Gondor perhaps. Or Lothlorien, to seek guidance of my fate. I rode aimlessly for a time until I reached upon a clearing where trees were big enough to hide me from view. I wondered if Aragorn was alright. The thought of the shadow that stalked us did not leave my mind, nor the growing fear that it had brought with it. Then my thoughts travel to her. To Turwaithiel. If chance was on my side, I would meet her somewhere along my travels. Perhaps people have seen her. There are not many ellith that travel these parts. It would not hurt to ask people from time to time, would it?

I was restless that first night without the company of Aragorn. I was feeling a bit distressed. That somehow, somewhere, someone I knew was in trouble and I could not shake off the feeling that it was Turwaithiel.

I did not sleep that night and the night after as I continued my journey towards the place where I might find something of worth. I followed a path that my father had once showed me when I had been little. Of course, seeing a map and actually being there was entirely different. I continued on until I found the familiar path that led back to Rivendell. I passed by it, towards the path that would lead me to Moria. Dwarves dwelled there and I would have to find another route to reach the palace of light. A problem for another day.

--

On the fourth day of my journey it seemed that a bit of luck was on my side for I had evaded a group of marching orcs and goblins. Where were they coming from? More importantly, where were they heading? I had tied my horse to a nearby tree but not too tightly for it might need to run free. I perched on a high branch from a tree, making sure there were enough leaves to obscure me from their view. They had a camp near the borders that would lead to the Mines of Moria. It was rather an odd thing to find them here in broad daylight. I sat quietly and listened.

"Why do we have to wait so long?" I hear one sneer at another.

"Because," the other replies, " Master didn't say nothing yet."

There was a scowl before a stumpy looking orc came into view, dragging with it a bag of some sort.

"He is probably still busy trying to torture those poor prisoners," he mutter as all eyes turn towards the bag he was dragging, " To think an elf was captured so easily." He throws the bag and the greedy little creatures fight among'st themselves to the things inside it. I peered at the contents, finding elvish blades and even an elvish bow and arrow. I felt my heart sink a little.

"Pretty things," one orc says as it studies one of the silver blades. One pulled something from the bag, which was too small that I had to lean forward to take a better look and I do not think I have ever felt more dreadful. In its vile grasp was a familiar looking necklace. One that I had given Turwaithiel. I shook my head in disbelief. She could not be... She was not... I stared at it a little harder until the orcs started to fight over it.