Chapter 27: Illusions

LEGOLAS

The room was dark, save for the soft light from the moon seeping through the open windows. The curtain danced with a silent partner, the breeze carrying a silent song.

The air was cold as I rested my head back on the pillow, staring at the ceiling. Winter has come and it has made the air around us all the more colder. Especially at night. I think of the elleth that would most probably keep me warm during nights like these.

It was painful, almost heart wrenching to be away from her. My eyes flickered briefly to the empty space beside me. No. She would not have been here if she were. That would be inappropriate. As inappropriate as my thoughts. I smiled grimly and focused again on the ceiling. I closed my eyes and willed myself to remember her touch. Her scent.

Her laugh. Her eyes.

I envision her in front of me, with that bright light. That optimistic look.

Her in a wedding dress.

I smile, my eyes remained closed. Holding on to that image of her. If this is what it felt like to be in love then I have nothing against it.

"Legolas,"

My eyes snap open at the sound of her voice. I push myself up on my elbows and look around the room. The curtain still danced, its movements almost hypnotizing. There was a soft laugh in the air and my head swung to the side where she stood.

I felt the air stolen right out of my lungs. Her eyes glowed bright under the dim light. Her skin a porcelain glow. She had a smile on her face, the smile I often dreamed about. I stared at her as she stood a few steps away from the bed in a dress of silver silk. It clung to her desperately and I felt something inside me stir at the sight of her.

She was so beautiful.

"Turwaithiel?" I asked in a hushed whisper. My eyes were deceiving me. She was not real. She was not here. I shut my eyes momentarily before opening them again to meet her curious gaze.

"You are real?" I asked and she offers me a sweet smile as she cocked her head to the side. Studying me with a knowing look.

"Do you want me to be?" She seemed to ask as she took a step towards the bed and I shot straight up into a sitting position, my hands instinctively grabbing on the dagger I kept beside me at all times. She notices it and stops walking, a look of alarm on her face.

This is a trick. I frantically look for the bracelet Elrohir had given me earlier. It was no longer on my wrist.

"What troubles you, my prince?" She asked and I found it difficult to breathe as my heart battled against my mind. No. I kept saying. She is not real.

I felt the bed sink a little and my eyes snap back at her as she climbed on top, moving with grace and determination. Her eyes never leave mine and I could not even try to look away.

This was not real.

"What is the matter, my prince?" She sings, her voice carrying a ghostly tune. I felt her fingers touch my hand gently. They felt cold and almost death like. I forced myself to remain still.

"You look like you have seen a ghost," she whispers as her face inches closer, her hands pinning down my shoulders. I sink into the mattress, unable to move as her eyes seemed to bind my whole body together. She watches me, observes me. I fought the urge to hold her, knowing she was not real. My mind struggles between accepting it and fighting the illusion. Her hair falls over her shoulders and I forget everything else as her lips touch mine in a gentle kiss.