Chapter 23: Enchantment

LEGOLAS

I walk into the infirmary to find Turwaithiel standing by a wooden table, papers scattered across it. Her brows were furrowed in concentration as she lazily mixes something in a bowl, her head bowed low to read something from the open book in the scattered mess. For a moment, I just lean beside the doorframe and watch her. I take in everything about her, like trying to memorize every curve and every edge of her being. Her hair was tied loosely above her head, something she had gotten from Laralen and has somehow become a habit.

Perhaps it made her feel more free and not be bothered by her long hair. All I can ever seem to think about was how it gave me a clear view of the porcelain skin of her neck. I grin lazily as her eyes seemed to read something that surprised her, before her brows furrow more. I clear my throat and she snaps out of her concentration as her cheeks turn pink at the sight of me. I feel my heart soar. Her blue eyes are bright but she tries to hide the happiness she was feeling. After the incident with the man a few days ago, we tried our best to now show too much of our affections for each other and to be honest, it was quite hard to do especially when I cannot seem to stop thinking about her.

To hell with rules and inappropriateness. Like father like son, I would always like to say.

"What are you doing here?" She seemed to ask me in a harsh whisper, her eyes glancing over to the other room where I assumed the rest of the healers were.

"Trying to keep myself happy during dark times," I reply with a grin. She scowls at my attempt at compliments and flirtations. We had both, well she had, agreed to not see each other during night time or dusk since it would raise more suspicions. I had also promised her I would not try and come to see her when she was working, or in the infirmary but when have I ever been known to follow rules and agreements? She shakes her head but I can feel her relief as her eyes turned soft, watching me standing by the doorway. It was difficult, to say the least. It had been difficult. The kingdom was growing darker and my father seemed to be growing more and more like an empty shell than a human being. Mantheniel's condition had gotten worse and Lindethiel was still confined on a bed somewhere in the palace. Turwaithiel had been trying so hard to find a cure but to no avail. The forest, the whole realm itself, seemed to be poisoned by something we have yet to understand. And here I thought those days were over. She carefully places the bowl on the table and tried to discreetly wipe her dirty hands on the sides of her skirts. I smile boyishly as I step towards her and her eyes snap at me.

"What are you doing?" She asked suddenly, her eyes wary. "Did we not agree that you are not to disturb me while I work?"

I shrug, pretending to be interested on the papers by the table. "I have done nothing that would disturb you," I stated coolly. "Can a prince not venture his own halls?" I asked and she narrowed her eyes, she was not going to play along. Always so serious.

"I apologize my lord, " she says in a mocking tone before scuttling off towards a book shelf and pulling out a book. Within moments she was engrossed in it. I fought the urge to frown. Had she not missed me? "You may stay, as long as you do not distract me." She says a matter of fact, her back to me. I walk quietly over to her and feel her jump at my sudden contact. She takes in a breath but her eyes never leave the pages of the book in her hand. I wrap my arms around her waist and she still does not turn to look at me. If she was afraid of getting caught, yet again, well she is the only one. I for one want the whole of middle-earth to know that she is the one for me. She is the one I chose. She holds my heart and everything else. Nothing else matters but her. Just being this close to her was enough for me. Enough to make me forget about everything else. Of the dark shadow, of the poisonous air, of the elleth I was supposed to marry, of my father's peculiar behaviour. Nothing else mattered but the smell of her skin and the beat of her heart against my chest. Her soft steady breathing. The comfort of being able to hold her close. She shoves me softly.