11

Molly's 12th Birthday party was Disney themed. The garden was filled with Princesses, a few Princes, and some adults. Keith stood by the barbeque, flipping the burgers over, amusement settled on his face as he watched Molly and her friends try to clip a plastic tiara into my hair.

"It won't stay put!" Molly, who was dressed as Belle, grunted. "Kelsey, keep still."

"I'm not moving," I stifled my laughter.

"You are!" Rapunzel exclaimed.

"Take your hair down!" Snow White ordered. "Your ponytail is getting in the way."

I was being bossed around by Princesses. 12 year old Princesses. And James, of whom stood by the garden gates holding 2 hot dogs on a paper plate, could not keep the grin off of his face.

"Did it!" Molly yelled, delighted that she had finally managed to get the tiara to stay in my hair. "Now, stand up so we can look at you!"

The group of girls gazed up at me with excited eyes and soon yelped in approval.

"You look so pretty!" Rapunzel gushed, pulling on my white dress.

"Look at her hair, Molly! It's longer than yours!" Snow White added.

"I know," Molly sighed. "She never wears it down though, which sucks, right?"

Oh, it sucked. Yeah. But, what sucked more was being dolled up by little kids.

"Am I free to go now?" I asked, battering my eyelashes down at Molly. "I want my hot dog."

"Fine!" Molly rolled her eyes. "Wait! First, we have to see what your Prince thinks!"

And then they were all grabbing my hands and arms and dragging me towards James. My stomach summersaulted when I was realised what they were up to. Realised who they thought my Princes was.

What the hell was I supposed to do?

James didn't look half as stunned as I. In fact, if anything, he looked like he was enjoying it.

"Well?" Molly asked, looking up at James. "What do you think of your Princess?"

"Isn't she beautiful?" Snow White giggled, twirling around in her dress.

"You want to know what I think?" James asked.

"Duh!" Rapunzel groaned.

"C'mon!" Molly laughed. "Tell us, tell us!"

No. God, no. Please don't tell us. Don't ever tell us what you think of me with a tiara in my hair with lipstick smeared on my cheeks and eye shadow on my forehead.

Still, despite my internal begging, James met my eyes. "I think she looks more like a Queen," he muttered. "Wouldn't you say so, kids?"

"A Queen!" Molly gasped, more than satisfied with his answer. "Well then, that makes you her King!"

"That's so cute!" Elsa giggled. When the hell did Elsa join us? And, could she use her magical powers to cool down my cheeks? They were on fire. With embarrassment? With passion? The hell did I know.

The girls continued to melt over James' admission before they scrambled towards the bouncy castle. Which therefore meant, it was just James and I left. Alone.

I exhaled a nervous breath and shuffled on my feet. "If this is what my dolls felt like when I fumbled over them when I was younger, then I don't half feel guilty..." I trailed off. "That is, if dolls had feelings... I mean..."

James met my eyes with a quick grin. "Did my line really hit you that hard?"

"Line?" I scoffed. "Damn right it was a line. A cheap one at that. Why would you think it hit me? What makes you think it touched me at all?"