32

When Keith pulled up outside of James's apartment, he was already stood outside in his suit. He looked so handsome, stood on the step with his hands in his pockets, but he also looked exhausted. It took a lot of concealer to hide the bags underneath my eyes, so I didn't look as tired as he did, but I sure as hell felt it.

He didn't hesitate on climbing inside the car, greeting Keith first before he let his eyes meet mine. They dropped seconds after to take in my attire. He raised his eyebrows. "Definitely not what I was expecting, but... hell, Kelsey, you look stunning."

I gulped down the lump in my throat. "You look pretty great yourself," I said, shifting in my seat when Keith pulled back out onto the road and headed for the venue. I felt so nervous. And for a trillion things. I was nervous to get out of the car and have our picture taken, I was nervous to see the final project, I was nervous to give my speech, I was nervous to have the talk with James. How would people react to what I was wearing? What if I tripped in my heels?

"What made you pick a pink suit?" he asked, watching me. "You... you really look amazing, Kels. I've missed you so much."

I gave him a weak smile. "Tina suggested it. My label is all about women power so I thought it was a good idea, you know? No one says girls have to wear dresses all the time. If a woman wants to wear a suit, she can wear a suit," I said, shrugging. "And, it's pink because I like pink."

He nodded slowly, the hint of a smile on his lips. "It suits you." After some silence, he then asked, "Are you nervous?"

I hesitated on my answer. "I'm on my third glass of champagne."

A full smile now. "Later, once we've gave our speech and cut the ribbon, will you meet me for a glass? I really want to talk with you, Kelsey. It's taking a lot of my restraint not to go ahead and have it here now."

I knocked back the rest of my drink and thought about pouring another, but stopped myself. I didn't want to be drunk, or tipsy, just relaxed. So, why on earth hadn't the three glasses, big glasses, helped?

"I'll have a glass of champagne with you, of course. The talk isn't happening until after."

"After?" he questioned. "After you take a sip? Sure."

"James," I warned.

He shifted in his seat, sighed. "Alright then. What's the plan?"

The plan. Of course there was plan that we had to follow. A plan that messed with my later plans. "The pictures we get taken once we step out of the car are going to be everywhere, so we need to look..." I trailed off, suddenly embarrassed. "It's probably best if we look cosy."

"Cosy," he repeated. "Cosy, as in I just kissed the hell out of you during the car ride there? Or a different, less real cosy."

"Less real? You haven't kissed the hell out of me on the way there," I frowned.

"Trying not to."

"I was thinking," I began, trying to ignore him, "maybe you could kiss me on the cheek when we get out there."

"The cheek? That's all I get?"

I swallowed. Hard. "Didn't you hear? I'm filling my boots elsewhere."

And, there it was. I tried really hard to file down the claws, but there were out. Ripe, sharp, and hungry.

"Kelsey," he said. "You know I didn't mean that. I've said sorry. I am sorry."

I didn't say anything. I just sat there, watching him, and after way too long of a silence, I came straight out with what I was thinking. "Kiss me," I said.