Chapter 2

I move the last box into my white painted bedroom before dramatically falling back on my unmade bed. I stare up at the ceiling and close my eyes for a few moments before sitting up and having a good look around my new room. It was nothing special but still very unique and well presented. 

The queen size bed was perfectly centred in the middle of the room above brown rustic hard wood floors, on the far left side there is a reasonable sized bathroom, and right opposite the bed there is a large inbuilt closet with mirrors lined across the centre. I look at my reflection for a quick second before turning my head to the far right hand side of my bedroom. There is perhaps, my favourite part of the bedroom, a proud bay window sits there with high windows making way for a clear view of the mansion opposite and beyond that, a scenery of a never ending dark green, emblematic forest and high peak mountains. It was absolutely beautiful. 

I snap back to reality and realise that there is now the whole unpacking situation, probably the worst part about moving houses...there is no way that I'm doing that right now I think to myself whilst jumping off the bed. I need to get out of here. 

I rummage through some of the boxes scattered around my new bedroom floor until I find my workout gear. I decide to put on some tight black shorts, a pink graphic t-shirt and some fairly new grey running shoes before grabbing my phone and heading out.

"Mum, I'm going for a run!" I shout so that my mum can hear me from wherever she is in the house. I hear a faint reply that sounded like an "ok" before opening the door and stepping outside.  

I walk along the sidewalk for a while, taking in the beautiful scenery and fresh air until I find a pathway leading into the forest near our new house. It looked like a great place to go for a run so I decide to follow it. 

I found solace in the strangest place
Way in the back of my mind
I saw my life in a stranger's face
And it was mine  

I kept running, fully entranced by the music and loving the feeling of the playful wind blowing softly against my face.

I had a one-way ticket to a place where all the demons go
Where the wind don't change
And nothing in the ground can ever grow
No hope, just lies
And you're taught to cry into your pillow
But I survived  

I decide that I need to listen to something a little more upbeat; I slow down and change my current song to a workout playlist. 

I keep running for a while after that until the playlist is over, I then stop and take my earphones out. I bend over panting trying to regain a steady breathing pace. Once I have that under control I look up and assess my surroundings.

The walkway has opened up to quite a sad looking beach, there wasn't anyone close by and I understood why. There were rocks across the beach rather than soft sand and a few tree branches and big logs around; also in the distance the beginning of a dull, freezing looking ocean was visible. There were some cliffs about too and mountains could be seen in the distance. Even though it wasn't the best looking beach I'd seen, something about it felt homely and I felt safe. I sit on one of the large logs and look out at the view in front of me. 

A few moments later a cold breeze hits me and I shiver, instantly regretting my outfit choice from earlier. I get up from the log, not wanting to leave the beach just yet and decide to continue to run along the shore line. I get lost in my music whilst running until I run right into either a very wide lamp post or a very tall trash can. I fall unto the ground and instantly curse as my butt hits the hard rocky beach. What's going on?

"Whatever that was, I swear I'm going to complain to the council or something." I mumble to myself whilst rubbing my now sore and probably red buttocks in pain.

"Excuse me?" A male voice says.

I look up, only to be met with the most dangerous looking set of pitch black eyes that I have ever seen. Dangerously beautiful.

The stranger surprisingly, offered me his hand and helped me off the ground.

My eyes are still glued to this very attractive man in front of me and I realise that I'm still holding on to his hand like an idiot. I quickly let go and take a step back, resulting in me almost falling over all over again. I realise that it's the same man that I saw when we first arrived here this afternoon.

I quickly force my eyes away from his, feeling slightly embarrassed that I was caught staring for longer than necessary.

He chuckles but it sounds forced. "What's your name kitten?"

Now don't get me wrong, under normal circumstances I would have cringed at the nickname. I mean he's technically calling me his pet, insinuating that he's my owner. I may be looking too literally into it but what can I say extra is my middle name. Under this circumstance though, all I could do in my state of embarrassment was utter a somewhat pathetic, stuttered version of my name. 

"A-y-a-a-nna-" I stammer in response to his question.

"Ayanna" my name flows out effortlessly from his lips; it sounds like one hundred arch angels have sung my name in harmony. I have never heard my name sound so good before. 

"I'm Grayson." He says, whilst smiling down at me.