Chapter Seven

For the next two weeks, that was how it went. I would meet William after dark, so my family—mostly Mother—never found out. We grew closer, spending more time with each other every night. We did different things when I went to the palace. We would walk down the streets and talk about anything and everything that came to mind. Sometimes, we would go to the palace library and find a little nook to ourselves and just read. Other times, we would go to his room and sit together on the divan and read or talk there. And then there were times, we would be in his room, and we would just end up falling asleep together.

The best thing about our time with each other was that we didn't have to always be talking. There were times when I would meet him and we didn't have to say anything. We would go do something where talking was not required, like reading, or sleeping, or occasionally walking.

It was so perfect that sometimes it felt like a dream. That I would wake up and none of it had been real. But, so far, it seemed real to me.

However, one day, before I'd left to go meet William, I'd made one fatal mistake.

I walked through the door and into the house, after the walk home from the palace. And, where the hallway was usually dark, a kerosene lantern was lit and my mother was sitting in a chair before the door.

She narrowed her sharp eyes at me, standing. "Where have you been, Erika?"

Panic flared inside me. How did she know? "I went for a walk," I said quickly.

She nodded slowly. "I went to talk to you in your room earlier but you hadn't been there."

I swallowed hard, wanting to bang my head against the wall. I'd forgotten to lock the door.

"Like I said, I was on a walk." I repeated.

She smiled grimly at me. "Tell me, dear . . . did you really walk for six hours?"

I hesitated, knowing that I could not talk my way out of this. "No." I replied laconically, meeting her eyes.

"I see. And I'm guessing this is not the first time that you have snuck out of the house. Am I correct?" She crossed her arms, watching me with her cold stormy eyes.

"Yes, you are." I said honestly.

"And where have you been going?" She asked.

I inclined my head just slightly. "I do not wish to tell you that."

Mother smiled a predator's smile, stepping toward me. "Because you know I won't approve. Well, you are not wrong. I know where you've been going. Why else would you leave the house, late at night, when I would not be watching?"

"There are plenty of reasons!" I exclaimed indignantly.

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Like?"

I opened my mouth to respond, but I did not have an answer. She laughed softly, and the sound rang out in my ears, haunting me.

"I didn't think you would have anything. Go up to bed. And if I discover that there have been anymore . . ." she paused, seeming to search for the right words. "Midnight excursions, there will be consequences. Consider this your warning."

"Yes, Mother," I replied softly and made my way up to bed.

"Good girl. You should do what you're told more often." Her words repeated themselves in my head throughout the night, working their way into my dreams, waking me up in the morning. I could feel rage building up beneath my skin, but, like always, I shoved it deep inside of myself, out of sight.

I handed Walter the note and he bowed, shoving it into the pocket of his coat, before going over to the carriage and driving off. I was having him deliver a letter to Prince William, since I could not meet him tonight. Mother was too suspicious; I did not want to get caught again.