Chapter Nine

The knocker clanged loudly against the door, and our footman, Howard, went to answer it. A messenger stood in the doorway, holding a folded piece of parchment, which he handed to Howard, before bowing and striding away.

The footman narrowed his eyes at the letter and then walked into the other room. I watched him go from where I'd been reading in the parlor room, which happened to be just off the foyer. I'd chosen the parlor to read in because it was too cold to read outside, but there was a large patch of sunlight coming from the window in the parlor. So, I'd curled up on the settee in the sunlight and had been reading my book.

It was two days after William had practically scared me to death by breaking into my room, and I had not been to meet him since. I was still working on how to get past Mother, since I knew she would be expecting me to sneak out again.

"Who was at the door, Howard?" I heard Mother ask from the drawing room up the stairs. Every morning at half-past ten, she would drink a cup of tea in the drawing room. It was a very familiar part of her routine. If she missed her midmorning tea, she was very grumpy and unpleasant—well, more so than usual.

I heard Howard reply, but it was too quiet for me to understand what he said. And then my mother answered much louder. "Really? Tonight? That's so soon! Thank you, Howard. Please tell Erika to come to the drawing room. You are dismissed." I heard the rattling of the tea cup hitting the saucer.

A moment later, Howard entered the parlor, where I was still sitting on the sofa. "Miss Lovet, your mother has requested your presence in the drawing room immediately."

"Thank you, Howard." I said, rolling off of the settee. I stretched, attempting to rid myself of the sluggishness that plagued me, before setting my book down and heading for the drawing room to meet Mother.

She was sitting in a chair by the fire, holding her cup of tea. I entered the room and stepped out of the way of the door. "Good morning, Mother." I greeted pleasantly.

She nodded her head to me in acknowledgment of the greeting.

A moment later, Alice entered the room, looking lovely as always, in a pale pink gown with sleeves that stopped just before reaching her forearms, and a full skirt. Her blond hair was curled tightly and draped over her shoulders, quite elegantly.

"Good morning, Alice," Mother said, smiling faintly.

Alice nodded her head. "Good morning, Mother." She replied.

I sighed and turned to Mother. "You called on us?"

She nodded, setting her tea cup down on an end table, her face turning severe. "His Majesty, the king, has invited our family to the palace to dine with them tonight."

"So soon," commented Alice, looking a little surprised.

"I know." Mother said. "But this will be good for you. You can have some time to chat with Prince William, and your father and I can talk to the king and queen about marriage arrangements."

Alice bounced up and down excitedly, somehow making it look graceful. "That sounds wonderful!"

"Yes, I knew it would, dear. Go start getting ready. Wear something that will blow the prince away." She grinned at her eldest daughter with something akin to adoration in her eyes as Alice flounced out of the room. Then she turned her eyes on me. "And you," she said, somewhat harshly. "You are not going to ruin this for her. You will be polite and well-behaved, and you will hardly speak. Understood?"

There were so many ways I wanted to reply. But all I said was, "Yes, Mother."

She nodded curtly. "Good. Now, go get ready to go. Dress nice, look presentable."