Chapter Fifteen

At the palace . . .

William reached the door to the king's throne room and knocked upon it. It was opened a moment later by one Gabriel's guards. William nodded to him and the guard bowed at the waist as his prince entered the room.

William walked into the room and paused in the center and bowed low to his father, who regarded him in a detached manner. William noticed that his mother was also sitting in the smaller, more elegant throne next to the king, but she did not meet his eyes, only stared at the far wall, a determined look upon her face.

"Your Majesty," he murmured to his sovereign and then to the queen.

"Rise," King Henry commanded, and William obeyed.

He met his father's dark eyes and then he turned to his mother, who was not looking at him, her mouth pressed into a thin line. "You called on me?" He said to his father.

Disregarding all formalities, the king got straight to the point. "You will be marrying Lady Alice Lovet this spring."

William blinked at him, momentarily surprised. He knew he'd heard what the king had said, but felt as though the words had passed over him. "I see."

His father only nodded. "You are going to be spending a lot of time with her until then. And I do not care where you real feelings lie, nor do I want you to tell me, but you are going to act like they lie with her and try to make your feelings for her real."

"Your Majesty," William began carefully. "I do not want to marry Lady Alice."

The king cut a scathing glare toward his son. "I just told you that I do not care. Pretend you do. Lie. That does not concern me. But you are forbidden from seeing that other girl. She does not exist to you."

He felt offended on Erika's behalf that the king did not even care to know her name and had labeled her as, "that other girl." There were so many things that William wanted to say to his father, and none of them kind or appropriate for speaking to the king, so he said nothing.

"William," King Henry's voice held a note of warning. "I am serious. I am putting an end to . . . whatever your relationship with that girl was. You will forget about her and marry Lady Alice."

William nodded, his jaw clenched. "Father," he said hurriedly. "You must understand—"

"I do not want to understand, William. Whatever it was . . . it is over. Surely, you understand that this is for the good of the kingdom?"

Exhaling, William nodded. "Of course." It always is. He thought bitterly.

"Then I do not want you to argue with me about this. There will be a ball within the next few weeks in honor of your engagement. I want you to spend time with Lady Alice, making decisions about the wedding. All of Belhaven will be there, if possible." The king grinned, but it looked more like he was baring his teeth.

William turned pleading eyes on his mother, who should understand his suffering more than anyone. And she met his eyes with her own blue ones, and he saw a flash of sympathy there, before she shook her head and her face became a carefully expressionless mask.

He clenched his jaw so hard that his teeth hurt. He turned back to his father and bowed. "As you wish, Your Majesty." He said coldly.

His father waved a jeweled hand at his son. "You are dismissed."

William turned on his heel and exited the room, not glancing anywhere but straight ahead as the door was opened for him. He was blinded by his frustration. Why can't he just understand? Was the thought running through William's head over and over again.