10-To Assume Makes An 'Ass' Out Of 'U' and 'Me' (Edited)

Before I knew it, Friday was upon me. Wednesday’s meeting had gone exactly as Sam had said it would. Rebel Records made us an offer we couldn’t refuse. They promised to help us complete our four track demo album in one month’s time along with giving us an advance on sells.

Recording was scheduled to start on Monday and as a result Crystal had agreed to come over to help write another song. Jake, the Rebel Records representative had offered their song writing department's assistance, which we accepted on the stipulation that they only write us two of the four songs. With Amnesia being our first and only completed song, we needed to get our butts in gear.

I jogged to the front door when I heard the doorbell ring and yanked it open assuming it was Crys.

Big mistake.

Unfortunately for me, I had to learn the hard way to never ever assume who was at the front door. It was a token of wisdom that I would forever be sure to share at every opportunity from that moment on. For the doubting Thomas' of the world, people who thought they were immune to the side effects of' Assuming,' I always tried to impress upon them the importance of not assuming while wearing a comfortable pair of form-fitting cotton pajama shorts with Patrick Star printed on them and a too short muscle shirt with had a washed out high school emblem on it. A few Assumers thought that I was oddly specific, but I liked to deflect comments of that nature.

I'd say, "People parade around in public with less, but it’s hard to maintain your dignity when your butt says, 'You know I wumbo.'"

“I don’t know what I imagined you sleeping in, but this?" He chuckled. "This is so much better.”

Disregarding the fact that I was blushing profusely I replied, “What exactly are you doing here at-” I paused to check the time, “10:00 at night?”

“Didn’t miss me, Love? Is that any way to treat the man that’s here to help you write your next hit?”

“Sam.” I couldn’t help but to roll my eyes, “That’s what Crystal is coming over for.”

Ignoring my mildly rude protest, Sam advanced on me a little and I found myself unconsciously taking a step backward.

“Aren’t you going to invite me in?” He smirked and quirked an eyebrow.

“No?” I responded as he moved toward me yet again. I cursed myself for making it sound like a question.

By that time, Sam had already cleared the door, so he closed it with his foot. Once it clicked shut he stopped his advance, but continued to stare into my eyes as if he could will me to change my mind.

“Sam, I really don’t have time for this. I need to work on the song and you need to leave.”

The steel in my voice, or rather the lack thereof, was pathetic. He smelled victory; I could see it in his eyes. 

“Come on Liz. I’ll be good.” He gave me his signature roguish grin.

I found myself wondering whether or not I should just let him stay. Crystal was going to be over soon and his expertise could only be a positive influence. I closed my eyes in frustration and turned my back to him. He was like a freaking Jedi and I couldn’t keep saying no to him while looking him in the eye. However, if that was indeed the case, it made me the weak minded fool.

As it turned out, I was deserving of the title. Like the fool, I broke the cardinal rule of any battle. Never turn your back on the opponent. Sam had taken advantage my distraction  and closed much of the distance between us. He stood directly behind me with his hands resting lightly on the joints that connected my limbs to my shoulders and with his lips hovering mere centimeters away from the curve of my neck. I could feel the air being displaced by his breath and mine became shallower in response.