Chapter 11.5

Two weeks into the month of recording Chris finally asked me out on another date. Technically he didn’t ask me, but rather dropped by the apartment in the middle of the night and instructed me to wear something comfortable. Delighted by his spontaneity, I did as I was told and threw on some capris and my ‘We are the Fallen’ t-shirt. After shooting me one of his heart stopping smiles, I followed him out to his car like a lovesick puppy dog and wordlessly climbed in.

Tossing a bandana onto my lap he said, “Here put this on.”

“Why would I want to wear a bandana?” I asked, not quite following him.

He reached over and pulled the bandana from my hands, folding it a few times for a makeshift blind fold. Leaning over the stick shift he gently placed it over my eyes and tied it behind my head.

“Oh,” I grinned feeling like an idiot.

I could feel his breath fan across my lips before he closed the distance and kissed me softly. It was sort of exhilarating kissing him without the ability to see him, though I wasn’t sure exactly why that was. His tongue explored my mouth as mine flirted shyly back with his. When he finally pulled away and settled back in his seat a few moments later, I felt dizzy, lightheaded, and hot with my heart pounding in my chest.

“Oh,” I repeated again though with much more meaning.

He cleared his throat, revved his engine and said, “Yeah.”

Though I still couldn’t see his face, a self-satisfied smirk adorned my face, because his tone told me he was just as surprised by the heat generated by our kiss. We settled into a comfortable silence that was only broken by the sound of his blinker every so often. After a while I began to hum, what I hoped would be one of our hits, and I thrummed the rhythm on my thigh.

“You have the most beautiful voice,” he told me midway through the song. “Never fails to mesmerize me.”

Despite the fact that I had been told by numerous people that they loved my voice, Chris’ compliment made me blush. “Thanks.”

“No problem.” I could hear the smile in his voice and it felt as if he was looking at me as he said it. The blood continued to rush to my cheeks and it was almost annoying that I couldn’t make it stop. Thankfully, he never commented about it, instead changing the subject to one I was more at ease with. “So, aren’t you going to ask me where I’m taking you?”

“Would you tell me?”

“Not a chance,” he replied instantly.

“See?” I laughed, “There you have it. Shot me down and I didn’t even ask you the right way.”

“Good point,” he conceded, “Okay change of subject. If you could combine any two bands, what would they be?”

“Hmmm,” I said aloud, contemplating his question, “Apocalyptica and the Rasmus.”

“That’d be awesome,” he agreed, “What would you call them?”

“I have absolutely no idea. Rasmulyptica?”

He gave me a throaty chuckle and my body tingled in response. “Okay another random question. If you could have the power to either freeze time or time travel which would you choose and why?”

“That is random,” I laughed, “but easy. The power to time travel. You could go back and see how history really played out versus reading the biased retelling. Plus freezing time would be irrelevant and useless if I had a time machine because I could waste time doing whatever I felt like, procrastinate and then get whatever I needed done, go back in time and give it to myself.”