Chapter 26

Almost two months have passed since I first heard Nate musically grovel in front of my boss, my best friend and the sound crew at the studio, and I am ecstatic to say it certainly wasn't the last. When it had all initially gone down, I may have walked around like I was on top of the world and I may have asked myself aloud on several occasions, "What could possibly be better than this?" There may be a whole slew of people who now question my sanity because I may have given into the impulse a time or two to reply, "Absolutely nothing!" with a huge grin on my face.

 However, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could not have been more wrong.

 As great and as satisfying as that was, hearing it on the radio in my car, in the store, and one time as some chick's ringtone as I watched it climb the charts, was way better. There was just something about the idea that thousands upon thousands of people were hearing him grovel...

 Needless to say, I have been walking on sunshine with a self-satisfied smirk permanently pasted onto my face.

 My epic revenge had one other reward that donated to my list of reasons to be extremely happy. Poetic Justice had gone from "that one band that opened for Flight Risk" to "that up and coming band that is catching an abnormal amount of breaks." And as the song grew in popularity, our album did as well. People would buy songs just because they were curious about who the Nobody was that was singing with Nate.

 On a personal level the most amazing side effect of the duet was even though most didn't have a face to associate it with, people actually knew my name. Sure it kind of sucked that it was constantly associated with Nate because our duet had been the stepping stone, but I wasn't one to be ungrateful.

 People who didn't just know my name, but could actually recognize me, were the customers at Georgiana's Jazz Bar, because we made it a point to play there every couple of weeks. Naturally the patrons at Jesse's Restaurant and Bar, both new and old recognized me as well. The latter even more so, because on karaoke nights like tonight, Jesse's became a non-skanky version of Coyote Ugly. My boss, at my request, had hired Crystal for the specific intent of karaoke night. To be perfectly truthful, I had practically begged my boss to hire her with the promise of more business, and thankfully that is exactly what we got when word spread that the girls of Poetic Justice sang for tips every Thursday night. Every couple of weeks, Gabe would come over and sing a few notes, but it was mostly just us two girls and that was exactly how we liked it.

 Anyhow, all of this led to the most nerve wrecking news yet. I had only been asleep for five hours when I heard banging on my front door. Whoever was there was clearly lacking patience, because they didn't leave a very reasonable pause between the alternating of doorbell ringing and knocking.

 "This had better be good..." I mumbled to myself as I looked at the alarm clock on the living room table. Sure eight o'clock in the morning isn't too early for the general public, but to a night owl like me that just got off work six hours ago, coming over this early was like trying to go to someone's house in the middle of the night.

 "Who the hell is at the front door?" Crystal complained, clearly just as annoyed as me that we were up way too early. She was faster than me and wrenched open the door, no doubt ready to chew someone out.

 A smiling Chris stood there with Gabe each bearing an apology gift. Gabe had donuts from my favorite bakery and Chris stood there with two cups of sweet smelling caffeine.

 "I'm not sure whether to kill you or kiss you!"

 "Well since Kate and Mike have a really good lawyer, I'd advise you to forgo the first and give me the last." Chris replied with half a smile.