Chapter 2

Nothing. I smelled nothing, saw nothing. It's rather peculiar. I could usually smell at least the auras of the humans down in the village, but not today.

Perhaps the wind was altered by something.

I left the cliff, and began to wander the forest, my eyes closed. Birds. Stream. Wind. The scurrying of crickets. Peaceful noises.

"INUYASHA!! SIT!!"

My eyes snap open at the shout, but I still cannot smell anything. I jump up onto a high branch, concealing myself, but allowing me to still see. A small party comes into view. A male with silver hair and ears, wearing a red robe, a sword at his waist. A black haired woman, wearing a priestess' attire, with a bow and quiver. A monk with short hair in a small ponytail, armed with a staff. An older woman, wearing a brightly colored kimono, and wearing a giant... Bone thing? Then there was a small boy, not like a child, but an actual boy, with a fluffy tail and ears, his orange hair in a ponytail. I sniffed the air tentatively. There it is, finally. The smell of fox demon and strong humans. And also.....

Dog. My inner beast rumbled softly. Run. They can't catch you if ther never know you're there.

Wait.

It's... Different. Oh, I see. He's a half-breed.

The half-breed Inuyasha.

It's he whom they speak of around here. The wielder of a powerful sword. Not that I'm into swords. I've always been more of the 'run far away' sort of fighter.

"Who's there?!"

Well fuck me sideways.

I stared back down at the half-demon, who's golden eyes soon locked with mine. "Who the hell are you?!"

"Nobody."

"As if! You smell like a dog demon, but your hair is black!" He pulls the sword from its sheath, and it grows larger. My eyes widen a bit at a certain scent that comes from it. It's very very faint, and I doubt he himself can smell it.

The scent Father carried with him when he came back. The scent of the friend he fought with.

"That sword..." I found myself murmuring subconsciously.

"Huh?! What about Tetsaiga?"

I stood up on the branch and readied my claws, holding my hand in front of me. "I'll break it!" I growled angrily. Truthfully, I bore no ill-will towards him. But the sword that carried the scent of that man, is something I can never forgive.

After years of searching for someone, you eventually begin to hate them.

Even to the point of developing a carnal desire to destroy them.