Chapter 8

That same girl is here. I don't know how she found me here, in a small pocket of beach sheltered by large rocks along the river. I simply looked up and there she was, smiling at me again. She certainly smells of Sesshomaru.

I would not have imagined him having a human child at his side.

"You're awful pretty, mister."

I feel as if she knows I'm the one who almost stepped on her, even in this more human form upon a rock. I blink at her, not sure if I'm supposed to reply or if she simply wishes to talk at me. She sits in the small area of grass, picking the morning glories that grow there. I watch the river flow, a bit soothed by her presence here. It seems odd to me that Sesshomaru would leave a vulnerable little girl alone, but then again I don't know much of him.

"What's your name, mister?"

"Hotaru."

"Lord Hotaru, you don't talk much either, do you? Lord Sesshomaru barely talks at all, but I like traveling with him. Jaken is fun to mess with, but he goes with Lord Sesshomaru a lot recently."

I turn to look at her, finding her smiling at me once again.

"I am just Hotaru, tiny child."

"Oh, ok. I'm Rin!"

"So you've said before."

"Oh yeah, I did... Do you like flowers? I love them!"

She's so cheerful, even out here all alone. I watch her as she continues to chatter at me, simply sitting upon my rock. My black hair falls around me, a contrast to the white of the kimono I wear. I listen without responding much, either watching her or the river. I can't get her words out of my head...

You're awful pretty, mister.

Pretty... I've never been called such a thing. I'm not certain how I should feel about it. Should I be happy? I do not know.

"Here, this is for you!"

I turn towards the girl just as she sets a crown of flowers on my head. She smiles brightly at me, which reminds me much of all the previous children I've seen. I can't help the small twitch at the corner of my lips, which seems to please her.

"Why thank you."

She laughs, returning to the bed of flowers. I simply watch as she diligently creates another crown, putting it on her own head. She laughs, twirling in circles.

"There! Now me and Hotaru-san match!"

She sits next to my rock, just watching the river while I watch her. She seems... lonely.

"Rin..."

"Yes?"

"If you bring me a leaf, I'll show you something."

She perks up immediately, racing over to one of the rocks. She clambers up on it slowly, reaching up and snagging one of the large leaves on the branch above. She takes her time coming back down the rock, then races over to me once again, sitting behind me on the rock this time. She gives me the leaf, which I bend and fold carefully. She watches intently as it transforms slowly into a small boat.

"Where I come from, the children race these in the river."

I hand her the boat, which she takes delicately before looking up at me as if for approval.

"Can I race it?"

I nod, watching as she moves towards the river's edge, bending down and carefully releasing the boat. It rocks a bit as it floats out toward the center of the river, slowly moving along with the current. She is fascinated, watching it as it disappears down the river. I tense slightly as a familiar presence makes itself known, looking behind me at the demon lord. He's standing quite close to me, though his eyes are on Rin. As soon as she notices him, she runs to his side.

"Lord Sesshomaru, you're back!"

He doesn't respond, a golden gaze moving from her to stare at me. I don't say a word, simply staring right back. I don't mean it arrogantly, but I would tarnish my meager pride if I were not able to look him in the eye.

"Hotaru-san made a leaf boat!"

His gaze travels me. I have no doubt he knows exactly who I am, just as I know exactly who he is simply by scent and the feeling of his demonic aura. His gaze leaves me as he turns away.

"Rin."

She doesn't follow, instead looking at me. I move my gaze to my lap, staring down at my hands. I should not be here... Damn my need for company.

"Hotaru-san, want to come?"

What?

I am not the only one who seems surprised, though it does not show on his face. He simply looks at Rin, who looks up at him innocently.

"Hotaru-san can come, right?"

Silence.

She takes my hand, which is much larger than hers, and smiles at me.

"You'll come?"

Oh dear. She's placed me in quite the pickle here. I blink.

"That is for Lord Sesshomaru to decide."

She is his companion after all, though for what purpose I haven't a clue. I know I will have to leave once this is over. I've stayed too long. Golden eyes regard Rin and I for a moment, before he turns with a swish of silver.

"Do as you please."

It is enough for Rin. I stand, the girl's hand still holding my own. She leads me along after the demon lord, who does not appear to care in the slightest. We soon meet up with a frazzled green imp, who grumbles at the sight of me but seems placated by Rin's hand in mine. I'm not really sure what to do. I guess.... this is Sesshomaru's approval? I do not mind this... traveling in a group. I've never been with another dog demon, at least since I left the village.

It's... interesting.

I think I may be able to live like this.