Chapter 4

Sometimes, when you wander, so does your heart. I'm sure mine was on its own journey to find something, that is, if I, a demon with no home or morality, could even claim to have a heart.

I looked around me at the burning village, at the corpses strewn around my feet, mothers, husbands, grandparents, children.  My claws, dripping with human blood, my clothes, somehow untouched. I couldn't remember what had made me do this, I only felt angry.

Oh yes, the men had tried to attack me with pitchforks. So I made them pay. Dearly. Everything keeps upsetting me lately.

I turned to leave, and suddenly heard a small shout. Then there was pain in my stomach. I looked down to see a boy, tears running down his face, but anger clearly written. He wasn't too old, only about 13 or 14, I'd say.

"Y-you killed them.... M-monster.."

I looked down at his hands. He held a sword, presumably taken from some mantle in his house. A sling was on his back, holding a much younger boy, 7 or 8, who looked frail. The boy with the sword collapsed, a puddle of blood forming underneath him. He must've been hurt in the earlier stampede of people trying to flee from me. The younger one began to wail, crying out for his brother to get up. Ignoring the sickly feeling of my injury, I turned and began to leave. It wasn't long before I heard the younger tottering after me, occasionally running to catch up.

I ignored him for the first few hours, but then he began to fall out of rhythm with his footsteps. I looked back to see him collapse on the dirt. I stared for a long moment, then walked over and picked him up. When I reached a river, I sat him down on a patch of grass and took off my outer clothes, which were useless to me now. I bathed, ridding myself of my own blood and the villagers, then washed my clothes before putting them back on. The material of my inner clothes came from a demon who could regenerate, so the clothes always fixed themselves.

I sighed, then looked up at the moon. It wasn't a trigger, just something to focus on. I gathered my aura, and felt my face lengthen, the bones in my body popping and snapping into place, muscles rearranging themselves. Once the transformation was complete, I looked at the surface of the river. A large demon dog, pure black with a single grey stripe on either side of its face, hovered on the surface of the water. Two piercing blue eyes stared back at me, and I sighed. I hated this form's appearance as much as I did my human form. Except in this one, my eyes changed as well. I turned and walked back over to the boy, and lay down so I was curled around him. I shifted him so his head rested on my shoulder, then lay my head down.

This way, I formed a warm circle around him, protecting him from the cold wind and weather.