-Dan-
Monday morning was a drag. I suffered though chemistry and calculus classes without Emma, as she was in the year below me. Finally, we were reunited in third bell band class and together we listened to the announcements.

"Unfortunately, Melladine football team lost to Redford Friday night," the headmaster grumbled over the PA. A chorus of groans erupted among the band, Emma and myself included.

"However, we have the chance to redeem ourselves two weeks from this Friday. We're playing a home game against Redford that day. Be there to support our school!"

The band cheered half-heartedly. After that, though, we got to talking while the director was distracted.

"Hey, mate," Cas, the lead quad drummer called over to me. "How was your weekend? Get any?"

"Nah, mate," I called back, "I'm gay as hell and not too many other people here are."

"True," he laughed.

"Yeah, but I did a lot of sleeping and eating and not giving a damn, as usual." I drawled.

"Same, but I thought a little bit about what girls I'd go with. That head tuba is pretty hot. I'd be down."

"Emma is a sophomore, Cas. She's nineteen. You're a senior. You're twenty four."

"I'd be down," he repeated with a big grin. I rolled my eyes and directed my attention to our director.

"Your form was a bit off at that last game. Redford made you look silly. Luckily, we're only playing Summerton this Friday, and they're not hard to outdo," she said. I tuned out the rest of her speech until Nessa, also a drummer, clicked four times to signal us to play. Three bars in, we were stopped by our director.

"Clarinets, it's E flat, not E natural. Start over!"

It was going to be a long day.

-

During lunch period, a close friend of Emma's and mine, Finn, came to the diner down the street with us. Sometimes he sat in the shitty uni cafeteria with his other mates, but sometimes he came with us. We pulled up into our usual parking space in Emma's old car and hurried inside.
Melladine only gave a seventy five minute lunch period slash break total. We had to get in and get out or else we'd be late back.

Finn pulled us over to our usual booth and we sat, not looking at the menus since we already knew what to order. He leant in close and said, "I know the names of some of the Redford band kids."

"Like I care about their stupid names. They're so pretentious, why can't they just go-"

Emma cut me off. "I'm interested."

Finn grinned at me before continuing. "So the lead trombone is called Dylan, and the only freshman mellophone is Polly, and the two sousaphones are Tilly and Jake. That's all I know."

"What about that blue girl who called me a faggot?" I asked.

"Oh, that's Teresé. She's an asshole, apparently."

"How do you even know their names?" Emma asked.

"They have a blown up picture of the whole band at their school and I saw it when I was dicking around at the game. It has their names on it and those are the ones I remember."

"I see. What about the rest of the assey trombones?"

"Can't remember, man, there's like twelve of them."

"Or that flute player with the black fringe?"

"No dice, mate."

I hope you all understand band lingo because if you don't you might be highly confused

I like this chapter as it's longer than the last one and it's 11:35 as I write this and wow I need to sleep

Ciao mateys