Chapter 3

Emily's was packed. You may be wondering if that was a pun about the whole wolf thing, yes, it completely was. It was a small living room to begin with, but having five guys who literally all looked like they took steroids didn't help the matter.

When I walked in, the loud room went deafeningly silent and everyone was staring. I just looked at everyone one of them, but when my eyes fell on Paul and when I made eye contact, I couldn't break it. It was hypnotizing, his eyes were dark brown, but there were swirls of caramel, and milk chocolate, and-

No. Fuck. I just imprinted on the biggest hot-headed douche in the entire universe. I turned, ready to leave but Sam wrapped his arm around me. "So Paul finally imprints on someone? Congrats, guys."

At that, I shook my head, and ducked under his arm, pushing the screen door open, and started walking away. The screen door squeaked open again, and I heard Paul yell, "Where the hell are you going?"

"Home," I shouted back, "Maybe this will all be some stupid dream and I'll wake up back in Seattle."

Not even turning around, I continued walking towards my house. I heard his footsteps clump towards me, the bastard standing in front of me, blocking my path. I glared at him and he said, "Come on, Mer, everything can go back to how it used to be."

I laughed bitterly, without humor. "Before you, my best fucking friend, left. Then Embry left. Oh, and don't forget, Jacob left, too, of course. Before you called me worthless, that no one fucking cared about me and that's why first my parents left me, and now my friends are, too. Reality check, asshat, there's no possible way it can go back to normal. I carry those words with me everyday, I can't even look in the goddamn mirror without hearing you say that. I told you everything in confidence, and you just threw them back at me. And you've probably been the happiest you've been."

Paul looked pained. "Mer, I'm sorry."

I shook my head. "Just. Don't. I'm tired."

Paul grabbed my hand and jerked me to a stop. He cupped my cheek. "Meredith, you're anything but worthless. You're extraordinary."

I breathed in sharply. "It would mean a lot more from you if you could've said this before the imprint. This is just the imprint talking. No, I know the real you, the boy who called me on the phone and said all those awful things. It's funny, how you couldn't have said all those things. Of course, you probably would've imprinted and never have said any of that. But look where we are now. You've said what you've needed to say. So have I. We have no other business that needs to be attended to."

Paul looked at me incredulously. "There's a lot more business that needs to be attended to. First off, when did you get so... cold? You would've been yelling at me at this point."

I shrugged. I said wryly, "Maybe that's what happens when all of your friends leave. Who knows? There's a lot you've missed, pretty boy."

I shoved him off of me and jogged up the road, leaving him standing there, staring after me. Gravel crunching under my feet as I ran towards the beach, the gravel turning into sand, softly swishing below my bare feet. I sat down on a log, putting my elbows on my knees, and my hands under my chin. As I looked out into the water, the waves were lapping gently against the shore.

Breathe, I told myself, just breathe. This wolf thing can't be so bad. Maybe it'll give me the strength to fight off Drew, next time. The whole mind telepathy could be hard, I can't even imagine what would happen if they found out. Who am I kidding, they probably wouldn't care. On the bright side, and I have no clue how, I no longer had black eyes and my nose wasn't swollen, only felt slightly crooked.

I'd probably have to forgive them all eventually; they were just following orders. Except Paul, he went to the extreme to sever ties.

I had just gotten home from school, and it had been two weeks since Paul had shown up, and I decided to call him for the umpteenth time.

Paul: Hello? What do you want?

Me: Paul! I've been calling you for ages, where the hell have you been?

Paul: I don't want to be your friend anymore. Stop calling.

Me: Wait, what?

Paul: Meredith, I can't believe I've even stuck around this long. You're worthless. Your own fucking parents couldn't even stand you any longer. Why do you think Jared left? It's only a matter of time before everyone else does, and you're left all alone. Stop calling.

Then he hung up.

It's always fascinating to see the bits of people you never see in the beginning. When you're first getting to know someone, they show you what they want you to see. Paul was the same; after I moved here, he was so sweet, I mean, a total ass to everyone, but he was sweet to me. He knew I was going through a lot, and soon, I came to trust him.

I heard feet pushing through the sands towards me, and I looked up to see Jacob, standing awkwardly in front of me. He said, "Mer, I would have never of left you if I didn't have to, I'm so sor-"

I cut him off with a vice tight hug. "It's fine, it's fine. I get it."

Jake grinned. "Now c'mon, let's go eat at Emily's. She made baked ziti."

I smiled a bit. "I think I'm just going to go, Jake, I'm exhausted. I promise, I'm not mad at any of you, besides Paul. I just need to process and sleep."

He nodded and smiled. "I'll see you later then."

He waved and ran back up the road towards Emily's as I started the trek back to my house.