Chapter 5

Being woken up to the stench of leech was not my favorite way to wake up. My eyes flew open, as I felt my hand in another's. I looked to the source, and it was Paul, his head resting on the bed, slightly snoring. My leg was in a walking boot, and I looked around, my surroundings unfamiliar. I was in a hospital bed, but it was a regular room as if I was in someone's bedroom. I gently pulled my hand out of his grasp, and he started, quickly jumping up. He looked at me with relief and he said, "I know you didn't want me here, and that's fine I guess, but I really couldn't stay away."

I shrugged. "What happened to the human girl?"

Paul looked at me, confused. "What girl?"

"When I found the leech, she was about to bite into the girl. I saved her but left her in the clearing for Jared, as I chased after the leech, " I replied, "and when I was fighting the both of them, and was yelling at Jared to hurry the hell up, he told me he took forever because he was with the girl."

Paul shrugged. "I don't know, but I should probably go tell Carlisle you're awake."

A voice said quietly, "I don't think that's necessary."

I turned around in my bed, only to see another vamp with the strange yellow eyes. He walked over to the side of my bed. Checking the monitors, he said, "You're doing well. I'm your doctor, Dr. Carlisle Cullen. Meredith, due to your rapid healing, your boot is ready to come off. You'll be a little sore for awhile, but you'll be back at it in a day or two."

I questioned, "So why was I coughing up blood?"

He spoke quietly, "When you broke your ribs, two to be precise, you punctured your lung. I fixed both ribs, and I believe your lung has re-inflated. You all heal at such a miraculous rate. I'm always left astounded."

I flashed a grin. "One of the perks. When can I leave?"

"Well," he started, "you can leave now, but before you phase for the first time, I want you to check in with me. Let me just take the boot off."

He moved quickly towards my leg. After deftly removing all of the straps, he slid the boot off. I stretch and wiggled my toes, everything feeling normal. "Thanks Doc."

He smiled kindly. "Always my pleasure."

Paul said softly, looking away, "I, uh, brought my car over. I didn't know how long it would take you for to wake up and I wanted clean cloths so I brought everything, so I can take you home, I mean, only if you want to, because you could ask-"

I cut him off, "I'll just catch a ride with you. How long have I been out?"

Carlisle said, "About a day or so."

He left the room as Paul's phone rang. He quickly answered, "Hello?"

I glanced at him as his brow furrowed. "Wait what?"

Paul said quickly, "I'll be right there."

He looked at me, and I thought I could see a bit of fear in his eyes. I questioned shrewdly, "Paul, what's going on?"

Paul swallowed. "I-my dad's in the hospital. Heart attack. You don't have to go with me but I need to go, you can-"

I cut him off again, "Paul, breathe. I'll go with you, of course I'll go. Just help me up."

He quickly moved over to bed, and I pulled off the covers. Swinging my legs out of the bed, I held out my hand which he grasped and pulled me up. I wobbled shakily on my legs, and he gripped my elbow. "Are you okay to walk?"

I nodded, and took a step forward. With only a twinge of discomfort, I took another step, Paul at my side the whole time, ready to catch me if I fell. I made it to the door and pulled it open, quickly exiting.