Chapter 8

I stretched out, regretting not bringing any clothing with me. I'd have to stay in wolf form for awhile now, depending on how long it took Sam to come to his senses. I already missed Paul, which I thought was ridiculous because I could hardly stand him a week ago.

And, I still was unaware what we were fighting for. I just knew we couldn't go against the Cullens. I mean I found a couple of them creepy but Carlisle saved my life. I don't take that lightly. I continued to run around the perimeter, only one on patrol. Until Jacob popped into my head stating, "There's someone here to see you."

I rolled my eyes. "Is it Paul? I swear to god, if it's Paul..."

Jacob answered, "Some kinda older couple. I'm thinking human."

"I don't have any clothes..."

He replied, agitated, "I'll get clothes from Alice, hold on."

I felt him shift out of my head. Who the hell is coming to see me? And why of all places do they show up at the Cullens?

Annoyed, I started running back towards the house. I hadn't been in human form for three days now, constantly preparing for Sam's attack. We had no idea where it would come from or when: being cut off from the pack certainly was a disadvantage. Not seeing Paul was really pulling at me, I missed him.

Jake popped back in my head, stating, "I have your clothes. Come over to the house."

I was still a little far away when I saw Jake with clothes in a neat little pile in front of his paws. Approaching him, I picked the clothes up with my teeth, jogging back towards a bush. I dropped the clothes and phased. Stretching out on two legs, I pulled on the clothes hurriedly. Jake jerked his head towards the front of the house and I walked over there.

There were two people I never thought I'd see: my parents. They looked up and smiled at me, waving their hands wildly. I approached carefully and they ran at me, looking to hug me. I flinched away from them, scared. "I haven't seen you in years. What do you want?"

They sighed and my mother spoke back, "I'm sorry, sweetie, but we just couldn't look at you. But we're back now, we can be a family."

I glared at her. "How did you find me?"

My dad took his turn to speak, "Billy told us where you were."

I clenched my jaw shut. "I'm not interested, thank you."

My temper was starting to spike and I could feel the shaking about to start.

My mom smiled. "I'm sorry honey, but you're coming with us."

The shaking started and I went to turn away when my dad wrapped his hand around my arm and squeezed. I growled, "Remove your hand from my body before I tear your throat out."

He didn't move and the shaking was nearly uncontrollable. He had to know what I was and what I could do. I pushed him away from me and sprinted off, tearing through the grass.

He started after me and I barely made it into the woods before I shifted, not caring if I betrayed the secret. I turned and saw a wolf following me: my father could still shift.

Jake thought, "Mer, what the hell is going on?"

"Why the hell didn't you tell me it was my parents, you bastard?"

I was running with him hot on my heels, but since he wasn't in our pack, I couldn't get his thoughts. "Jake, my parents beat me. Why do you think they would come here? He still can phase he's literally chasing me."

Jake replied, "I'm coming, I'm coming, hold on."

He was too far away and I took a giant U-turn, preparing myself for his attack. He launched himself at me, while I ducked under him. I growled at him, baring my teeth. We circled each other and I felt Jake coming from behind him which could help with a sneak attack.

I ran at him and we fell to the ground, biting at each other. He got a good lick in and whined, stilling rolling around with each other. He barked out a laugh and I found an opportunity, lunging for his throat.

I stood over him, paw at his throat, fear in his eyes. I wanted to kill him, wanted to torture him even, just so he could feel a sliver of the pain I felt.

Seth thought towards me, "Hey, Mer, I don't know what's going on. But think this through."

Jake entered the clearing but silence ensued as i tried to make the decision whether or not to kill him. I got off of him, but ferociously growling at him. He scampered back off in the direction of my mother and I sprinted back into the woods, ignoring the cries of protest in my mind. I phased back into human form and started crying.

Collapsing onto the ground, I wrapped my arms around my knees, ignoring the fact that I was butt naked. I cried, tears streaming down my face, the yearning for Paul at an all time high.

I sniffed and wiped at the tears on my face, standing up.  A distant howl rang out and I stood up, already phasing. Jake blabbered, "Bella's going into labor. It's not going to pretty especially since it's so early. And it gets worse, the pack has surrounded us. None of them can hunt so they're thirsty."

Silence. I stated, "To solve the thirst problem, we can hunt. I don't see Sam attacking me or Leah. We can bring the animals to the house and they can feed."

I felt Jacob agree to plan but then Seth spoke up, "What are we going to do about the pack, though?"

We all thought about it. They lost 4 members, leaving them down to Sam, Jared, Paul, Embry, Quil, Collin and Brady. I didn't really see Sam allowing Collin and Brady to fight but who knows? So max 7 members were out there.... Ha, maybe my parents joined up, but I wouldn't have a problem fighting either. I saw something flash behind me, a streak of silver. I turned and saw Paul in wolf form. I jerked back in surprised and watched him phase. Phasing quickly, I ran at him, trying to ignore the fact that we were both naked and wrapped my arms around him, squeezing tight.

He chuckled and folded me into a tight embrace. I looked up at him shrewdly, "You're not here to join up, are you?"

He shook his head. "I wanted to warn you.  Your dad showed up, looking to help. Sam turned him away of course, but I want you to be careful. He's still out there."

"He made an appearance earlier. I didn't even know he phased or could even phased."

Paul's nostrils flared angrily but all he muttered was, "I knew I should've killed him."

"Is there anyway you can talk Sam out of this?" I asked.

He bit his lip. "Some of the guys have asked. I asked if we could at least wait until the child was born to attack but he wants to attack before it has a chance to be powerful."

"Paul, even you just said child. That's what it is. A child, Paul..."