18: Familiar Faces Are Old Friends

https://data.whicdn.com/images/52668934/original.gif.

A WEEK LATER

A WEEK LATER

The past week in Mystic Falls had been so normal that it actually gave me a headache.

Stelena was officially over. While the secrets of the cure and hiding our special hunter hadn't driven the dysfunctional lovebirds apart, Elena's sire bond simply placed Damon in a new light that the one-hundred-and-sixty-one-year-old just couldn't look past anymore.

I did feel a little bad for the guy, especially when I remembered Damon and Elena dirty dancing at the college campus when Bon and I went to visit Sheila and inadvertently met Shane. Then I thought about how he was always everyone's first choice and my mind drifted away from sympathy as I recognized some of his behavior was quite bratty. This was probably the first time out of every woman they'd ever shared, accidentally or not, that Damon was the first choice--or at least was finally a viable option. Besides, seeing Stefan spending more and more time at the Forbes' residence just reminded me of when their love story blossomed. The possibility of seeing Steroline and Delena live out there happily ever after forcing my heart to give a giddy thump.

Rebekah's 'After Curfew, Curfew Party' went off without a hitch. The atmosphere was light, no bitchiness occurred, and my lovely Mystic Falls trio again managed to get along with the blonde Original. Their laughter was loud, teasing aplenty, and I was actually surprised to see them behaving even more civilly than they did at the 20's dance. However, the only downside to these budding friendships I'd managed to ignite was the punishment of two blonde dictators organizing the 'Miss Mystic Falls' pageant. The pair of them were firm, snappy, and painfully in sync. If I didn't know any better, I'd honestly believe they were both a head from the same Hydra--

"What are you doing?"

My spine froze with that particular tone of voice, "Moving the floral arrangements?"

"You mean you're parading around the ones supposed to be displayed in the back right by the main entrance?"

Her raised brow made me gulp, "I was moving them to the back?"

Rebekah's lips quirked upward in victory, "Good."

I exhaled in relief when she moved onto her next victim, picking the vase back up and freezing when Caroline cornered me-- "I know, I know. I'm already taking them to the back," she followed close behind as I rolled my eyes.

"As grateful as I am that you memorized the chart," I forced up a smile when she cemented herself to my side. "I need to vent before my head explodes."

"Well, that doesn't sound fun(!)"

"It isn't," she huffed, stealing the vase from my grip and setting it by a pillar in the back, rearranging the flower placement as her lips parted in a ramble. "I mean, can you even believe what Elena is doing to Stefan? They're each others soulmates, and now she's let Damon weasel his way into her confused newbie-vampire heart--"