25: Disappearing Acts

https://64.media.tumblr.com/6963b57c3df3e5e4b79e23e93ae157a3/tumblr_inline_oahejzsjeX1rjxesm_250.gifv.

A COUPLE OF WEEKS LATER

Klaus had been worryingly radio-silent. The return to Mystic Falls surprisingly didn't present a mass murder of who were once his hybrids, my gut-twisting, and concern growing when a quick whip around discovered he'd practically vanished. He hadn't lashed out, he hadn't hurt anyone, he'd simply gone from the Island to the shadows and no one had a clue on what he was thinking. It had me acting overly cautious, walking on eggshells without even realizing it. Damon seemed fed up with me. His attempted distractions really just distract him from more weeks separated from the love of his life. He hadn't left my side since we returned from the island, only allowing me a moment's peace when I visited Bonnie and her Gram's to check on the progress of splitting or replicating the cure. He was pretty mopey, and the late-night drinks or consistent games of pool couldn't alter that.

It forced me to decide on a new tactic to take both of our minds away from what consumed our affections...

"Are you crazy?!" My expression was careless when Damon stumbled across my latest scheme.

"Do you honestly have that little faith in me(?)" Even my fluttering lashes couldn't deter his caution.

"There's having faith in your mysterious plots, and then there's finding this in my basement!" He aggressively motioned toward the miniature prison below his home, a blonde Sheriff passed out on the rough texture we called a make-shift bed.

"What?" My shrug attempted innocence, "I needed her to be compellable--"

"And why would you do that when all you'd need to do is ask her to get something you want? She knows you, Angel."

"I couldn't risk it, Damon. What I need to be done can't ever be forgotten or pushed back. She needs to do it regularly, and what better way to ensure that than to compel her(?)"

His eyes narrowed in suspicion, "And what is it she needs to do, Angel?" I chewed my bottom lip, debate clear over whether I should share my knowledge-- "If you don't tell me, I'll just let her out. This is my home, and magically enhanced strength or not--I'm still a lot quicker and a lot older than you."

I huffed, "Fine," my eyes rolled. "But you gotta promise me you'll remain okay," he gave me a deadpan expression-- "Damon!"

"Fine," his own eyes rolled, "I promise."

"Good," I sucked in a sharp breath. "I had a vision about Liz where she was found to have a terminal illness too late. She just got sick out of nowhere. It seemed like hell, a really painful hell...and then she just died. I wanna stop it--or at least give her a fighting chance, ya' know?"