Chapter One

Staring absently beyond the stained plexiglass, I found nothing but endless fields of dehydrated corn stalks welComing me. About 40.8% of North American soil is farmland and I'm sure 38.9% is Balta County itself.

Warm sun rays poured from the window, showering me with their heat. A hint of a smile formed on my lips. Dang, how I love the feel of the Indiana Sun.

I shut my eyelids, sucking up the warmth the Sun radiated, reminiscing about my brother's previous birthday and therefore began my chronic journey of deep thoughts. These thoughts consisted of my ever-growing hypothesis that the evening sun-rays compelled their victims into feeling attractive and courageous. I know it sounds outrageous, but I can't help but believe it. I mean, whenever I find myself blinded by those killer rays, I feel.. beautiful. Powerful. A grunt-that was supposed to be a 'giggle'- erupted from my mouth.

When I opened my milky eyelids, I was met with a dark, hateful gaze. "Hey, shithead." I cringe at the insult, silently cursing my parents for my name.

"It's Ali," I mutter, before turning away from the beady eyed boy. "Not shit, pimple face." He glared at me from beneath greasy eyelashes.

"Whatever, shit breath." I sigh and arch my back, pretending to crack my neck to avoid the chills that went with awkward moments. Ah, how they love me. Shielding my eyes with a milky hand, I directed my hazel hues towards the ever growing fields yet again.

Suddenly remembering, I snatched my navy backpack from the bus floor. I sifted through the cluttered papers and binders, searching for a certain device. Where is it, where is it.. Ah! I had found it, my mint green Ipod Shuffle. A glorious music player in which I will cherish forever and ever.

I then began my run-of-the-mill type search for my earbuds, which were of course in my side pocket, their usual spot. I hurriedly plugged the aux in, skipping through old hip-hop songs I wasn't into any more.

I soon found my kick-off track, 'Free Fallin'' by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, their most iconic song, and blocked out the chubby kid's ongoing insults. A great song, with great beats. I rested my cheek on the glass, resuming with my random thoughts. Maybe I'd never get out of Indiana, there were lots of things pulling me down. My eyes direct their attention to a certain spot. I swear I saw movement in those corn stalks.

I pressed my face against the glass, attempting to get a better look. I know I saw something; there it is.

A flash of thick burgundy fur. My forehead creased in confusion as the truth hit me like a steel truck and I was furious beyond belief.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I stepped down onto the gravel road, my flats digging into the rocks below. The yellow contraption that was plummeting down the road wasn't permitted down here, so I was forced to walk to my safe haven. Not that I minded a bit, walking allowed me to stretch my legs and think some more.

Anyhow, the rest of the bus ride home had been pretty average. I also didn't see anymore reddish-brown tufts of fur stalking me, so that's great news. Though my earbuds began crackling about midway through 'Here Without You' by Three Doors Down, which wasn't so great. Speaking of which, I had tucked the Shuffle in my front pouch, alongside my earbuds so I wouldn't squish them.

I slowly made my way down the winding path, leading towards a slightly isolated town. The town itself was a bit odd, but it was a werewolf town after all. Aren't they supposed to be isolated from the rest of mankind?

My heart pounded in my ear, becoming a lulling tune in my head. Buh-bumh, buh-bumh, buh-bumh, and over again. The soft beats toned out the chatty birds and vocal squirrels.