Chapter Seven

The wind whipped against my face, causing the now dried tears to become cold

on my skin. After the traumatic event, I decided to go for a run to calm myself, it wasn't working.

My muscles ached from the previous night and my heart beat rapidly against my ribcage. So much has happened in the past few hours.

I began to slow as a familiar stream came into view. I wasn't in my wolf form, I was instead jogging angrily in the woods. Avoiding the pack was the hard part, I didn't want to speak with Jae today. In twelve hours, I have managed to gain and lose more important figures in my life than I have in years.

My wolf's soul has not spoke a single word since Ryder left. Her comment about the pups still echoes in my mind, leaving a chilling feeling throughout my body. I rest a pale hand on my stomach, my gaze downcast and solemn. What if there is a little wolf growing inside of there? I can't be a mother, I'm too young and my mate doesn't even want me. I am no good.

Once I reach the stream, I gently trail my fingertips over the clear water. I watch as they break through the H2O's surface and plummet below, grazing the stones and murky mud.

My thoughts flickered to when I was a small child, I use to scamper in these creeks, enjoying the feeling of water between my little toes. As I went to sit, I felt my legs give out beneath me, buckling. In result, I fell on my rump, hitting the rough ground hard. I gave out a yelp, pain racing through me.

I now laid on my back, stunned and a bit shaken up. My tailbone hurt like a banshee, but the pain slowly dwindled to nothing. I laid still, careful not to move a muscle. I closed my eyelids, allowing myself to think up strange memories.

I recalled and recounted all of the times my mother lulled me to sleep with her voice, much like a siren. Her tone was soothing, easy enough to fall into a deep rest. I heard the birds tweet and the little padded feet of scampering varmints.

The dirt beneath me was riddled with patches of green grass, but their cool spades felt smooth against my fingertips. My fury had turned to anger, it slowly began to dwindle. I slowly squeezed the grass between my fingers, using them as a way to release my emotions.

I felt cool tears beginning to form in the corner of my eyes. I waited for the teardrops to fall and make their way down my cheeks. Finally, I felt them begin their short and bitter journey to my quivering lips.

My hand, now pale from worry, hovered over my stomach. I closed my milky eyelids, letting my thoughts drift to a healthy child. I pictured round hazel eyes peeking up at me; More tears fell.

* * *

After roughly another hour of chronic thoughts, I picked myself up off of the ground. I glanced around at my surroundings, the sun rays blocked by the tree's thick layers of leaves. Even so, a few rays peeked through the cover, shining down bright streaks throughout the forest. The sight was breathtaking.

Animals scamper on the floor, rustling bushes and disrupting peaceful puddles and streams. I sighed softly, releasing my previous anger and flurry of emotions. I felt as though my entire world had crashed down.

Snap.

I felt heat rise to my cheeks. I wore only a tanktop and a pair of shorts. I left the house in rash anger, not thinking about clothing. I felt naked without my bra. I felt eyes prying on me, knowing full well that it was a human or werewolf.

"Clay?" A familiar deep voice called out to me. Through the darkness, a known face emerged.

A pang of guilt flown through me, "Jae." I said softly, short and sweet. I regretted ever changing into a wolf. I nearly had my alpha's son killed for my own desires.

I watched as he approached me cautiously. He glanced around us, sniffing in deeply, most likely searching for Ryder's sent.

Not finding his smell, he sat down, a good few feet from me. He plopped onto the ground, his breathtaking hues meeting my dull ones.

"You didn't inform us that you turned. Also," His voice dragged out the 'o', as though he was hesitant to ask the question. I nodded at him, as though letting him know he could ask anything.

Jae was now my alpha, whether or not it stays that way was the question. I need to follow his orders and trust in him like others do his father. I peered at him with doe-like eyes, curious about his next words.

His question surprised even me, and I didn't even know the answer. "Your wolf form is unique, my father and I aren't even that large of a wolf and we're alphas." I creased my forehead, knitting my eyebrows together in confusion. "Why is that? How are you a white wolf with strange markings?"

As soon as he said the last part however, his jaw dropped. "Oh goddess. Ali, you might be the love child the Royals are searching for. " I shook my head, refusing to believe his words.

"I can't be Jae." I spoke in a raspy tone. I was tired of surprises, I didn't want anything to do with the royals. He just looked at me, admiring my entire body. His gaze flickered to my face, glazing my skin and all. His hues lingered a little too long at my lips.

"The oddest thing though, you have no scent to me. You smell human but not human. In a way, you smell like nothing to me. You're neither wolf nor human."

I felt my heart plummet when he said that though. It felt odd, being neither. In truth, I wasn't a normal wolf. I was large, much larger. Almost like a dire wolf.

My eyes went as wide as saucers. "Dire wolf, oh god Jae, I may be a dire wolf." He looked at me as though I had three eyeballs. I shook my head at him, basically pleading for him to hear me out.

"Think about it Jae, I'm much larger than anyone else in the pack. I'm larger than my mate even." As soon as I said mate his face went cold. His eyes hardened at the sound of the word. I didn't quite understand. "What's wrong?" I pursed my lips.

He hung his head, avoiding my gaze. I urged him to look at me, to give me an answer. When he finally did, he looked pained. "Your mate? Clay, that was a rogue. Not any rogue, that was an infamous rogue."

I knitted my dark eyebrows in confusion, stress pulsing through my veins. I felt fury run through me. "Oh goddess Jae." I felt streams of tears pouring from my hazel hues. "You heard what he said, it doesn't matter anyway."

He looked at me in a way that was confusing;worried. He appeared sad, almost angry. "You don't want to know who he is exactly?" It may of sounded stupid, but I didn't. If I found out where he was, I may search him out. It's a low chance, but still a chance. Did you, you know?" He asked, his deep voice wavering.

I nodded at him. I bit my lips, tears still coming like a torrential downpour. He reached over, slowly wiping them from my pale skin. "Sh, it'll be fine. You'll be okay here, Clay. No one will hurt you, nor look down upon you. I won't have it."

I looked at Jae, but my normal annoyed feeling wasn't there anymore. In it's stead, a feeling of respect and gratitude. "Thank you, thank you so much. I cannot thank you enough. I may not be bearing a pup though.."

He looked at me in sadness, his eyes knowing and solemn. "Did you use any form of protection?" I shook my head, knowing full-well what his next words were going to be. "You're definitely with child Clay, the first time for mates is guaranteed unless you have some protection. Even then, it's not certain."

I looked at him in horror. My hand glided to my stomach, my mind flashing back to Renee. Just that night I had felt bad for her, but now I am in the same boat with her. I am bearing a pup.