Chapter Six

Warm sun-rays licked at my cheeks, waking me from my peaceful slumber. It looked to be about seven a.m. A yawn escaped from my throat as I stretched my back. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed.

I was starving.

I bounded out my floor in the clothing I wore yesterday;a brown baggy sweatshirt and red-and-black checkered pajama bottoms. I was too tired to care. I had one destination;the fridge.

The house was quiet and still. I hardly recognized it. The wooden floors were polished and cut-cleanly, not allowing any splinters. The wallpaper that littered the walls was a rich-brown pattern. It was a pretty modern house, I liked it enough.

I finally crept to the kitchen. The open space still vaguely smelled like toast from the appliance's previous affairs. I craved meat though, I didn't want just bread.

I rummaged through the fridge for lunch meat. I found some honey-ham and snatched it along with a jar of miracle whip hungrily.

The condiment spread over the top piece of white bread smoothly. I pulled three slices of ham from the package and laid it on the bottom piece of bread. I smashed the two pieces together and began stuffing my face.

As I was doing so, I didn't notice the figure slip in behind me. An arm circled around my waist, gripping my hip. I jumped in surprise by the static feeling their touch gave me. I attempted to turn around.

My attacker held me firm and didn't allow me the opportunity to move. "Thought I'd let you get away without a goodbye?" He whispered huskily.

My heart sunk. Mate.

I sat stunned for two reasons. One, my mate was behind me. Two, I heard my wolf. Her voice was husky and monotone, a lot like mine.

I attempted to mink-link her, if you will. What is your name?

Clay. I am you, you are me. I wrinkled my eyebrows in confusion. I shook my head and remembered the more serious matter at hand.

We'll talk later.

"I hadn't realized you cared." I admitted breathlessly. He chuckled deeply. His laugh tickled my ear.

A faint blush splashed across my cheeks. He held my body close to him. So close in fact, I could feel the warmth radiating from his body.

His mouth hovered over my neck, teasing my wolf inside. "You followed me." I stated bluntly. I felt him nod, his lips meeting my skin. They planted the most delicate kiss on my upper neck.

"Who are you?" I asked softly. He was quiet. We stood deathly still.

"Ryder." He said huskily, nibbling on my earlobe.

"Ryder," I repeated softly, letting the foreign name settle happily on my tongue. He murmured something inaudible to my ears.

His hand slid up my shirt, resting peacefully on my ribs. I closed my eyes as his thumb rubbed slow calming circles into my skin.

My heart fluttered in my chest. That was until I heard heavy footsteps enter the kitchen and freeze. My heart plummeted down into my pelvis. I was quite aware that the bystander could see the man embracing me, his hand up my shirt.

Ryder froze in place, his thumb Coming to slow stop. His hand fell from my skin and my wolf let out a whimper inside me. When he moved away from me entirely, I fought the urge to do so out loud.

"Clay," The deep voice spoke in an almost angry tone.

I turned reluctantly, afraid to meet the stranger's eyes. I realized it wasn't a stranger. "I thought you were gone." I stated as bluntly as I could.