Chapter Ten

"I'm assuming you know what this is about?" The ambassador says, his features growing weary. I gulp, waiting for him to condemn me to death.

"No, sir." I reply, calming my nerves by wringing my wrist with my hand.

"It has been brought to my attention that your pack, Mr. Carver, has violated a federal law." Alpha James purses his lips.

"What may that be, ambassador Edwig?" My father pipes in, attempting to take the heat from our alpha.

"You harbor something that belongs to our Queen, Mr. Slater," He replies, narrowing his glossy hues at my father.

"The Queen?" I ask innocently, better to go down without a fight than make a fuss about it.

Edwig furrows his thick, greasy brows, gazing at me with a perplexed look. "Surely this child know who the Queen is."

In response to the silence that follows after, he shakes his head,"Goddess blessed you, child," he explains with an impatient tone.

"In what way, sir?" I ask, peering up at him with knowledge starved eyes.

"Every werewolf is granted a wolf form, most are rather," He looks over to my father and our ALpha, "-average." He finishes. "Except you."

Brushing a lock of dark hair behind my ear, I listen closely as curiosity eats me away. "Tell me how," I whisper, barely audible.

"Correct me if I'm wrong," he fumbles with his fleshy fingers. "Your wolf form is larger than any of your packs."

"I think so, but I just changed yesterday," I answer honestly, staring intently into his eyes as though they held all of the unanswered questions circling in my head.

His thick brows furrow in confusion, "Now that is something unexpected," he looks to Alpha John for confirmation, who looks stunned at the announcement.

"She must be telling the truth, we consider-considered," he quickly corrects himself, "Her a human, one without our curse."

"Blessing," the ambassador scolds, "-but I would like to see the proof." He looks to me, as though waiting for me to change.

"Right here?" I sk skeptically, "Right now?" He nods and taps his watch, not liking how much time we were wasting with dumb questions.

"Okay," I mutter, pushing myself from the plushy chair. With my feet firmly planted on the floor, I thought of my body shifting, the bones melding into thick, fur-covered wolf legs. Images of my pristine coat shimmering under the Goddess's glowing moonlight.

Collective gasps ring out among the throng of men, "Goddess." I peer up at them through white eyelashes, my heart pounding in my chest.

"She's real," I hear the ambassador mumble beneath his breath in disbelief. "Eleanor would be so proud."