Chapter 1

PLEASE ENCOURAGE ME TO WRITE BY PRESSING THE STAR ON YOUR SCREEN (: LOVE YOU GUYS!

Alexis

I entered the café at the corner of the street with a large window which showed the elegant wooden table by the large window, with a few seniors indulging themselves in the world displayed in front of their screens. I walked towards the barista, who was facing one of her colleagues and was chatting away, both laughing at some inaudible. She turned around when I approached her. She looked like a woman in her twenties, with perfectly dyed red hair and a pair of black framed glasses sitting on her nose that made my insecurities came back like a flood.

"Hey there!" She flashed me a grin which looked like it was forced and greeted me, as if she was trying to sound enthusiastic, but it sounded like she was fed up with this line.

"Hey there," I responded, trying to be as enthusiastic as she was. She looked at me, as if she was urging me to continue, but I was never one of the girls that could socialize with a stranger. She shrugged and asked for my order. "One iced caramel macchiato please, yes, medium, thank you."

"Anything else?" She asked as she typed in the order. I scanned around the room and my eyes landed on a chocolate muffin, which steam was coming out of it. A fresh chocolate muffin and a cup of coffee to start a new school year, how is it not exciting? I thought to myself as I placed the cash onto the table and she took it while asking for my name.

"Alexis." She nodded and wrote on the cup and waved me away and took another order as I looked around, waiting for my cup to be filled. The café was filled with students typing away in front of their computers, in hopes to cram the rest of their essays, which might happened to due today in, some were sitting in front of their textbooks and notebooks with earphones plugged in. If I didn't have my first class for today, I would've sat there and revise for hours.

"Alex?" A young and bright voice chirped and I looked around, waiting for Alex to show up, but no one did. "Alex?" She tried again, "Alex with iced caramel macchiato and a chocolate muffin?" With that I rolled my eyes, knowing that the barista must've gotten my name wrong for the hundredth time. I walked towards the table and grabbed the order off, "is it yours, miss?"

"Yes," I answered, "and by the way, it's Alexis, not Alex." I might've said that line many times because it easily rolled off my tongue, but it made me sounded like a bítch. "Have a good day, miss." I added, trying to lighten up the mood. I walked away in my black converse shoes, leaving her rolling her eyes in annoyance at my fading presence, like what normal people would.

***

I entered the room and found my corresponding seat with the help of a few classmates. I was walking towards my seat when someone shouted my name and I whipped my head towards that direction and tripped on an outstretched feet in front of him. "Are you alright?" A brunette with the same voice which called me moments ago approached me. I found my hand wrapped around his large, warm hand as he hauled me up. He had a strong build and his touch was comforting, it didn't feel awkward when you held his hand. He didn't say anything, but it felt as though he was laughing at my clumsiness through his eyes.

"Karma." A guy at my right spoke up, who had a smug smile on his features. The brunette stood up taller and stalked towards him with narrowed eyes, looking intimidating.

"Say that again," he warned at a low voice that hinted his authority. "And you'll never dared to say it again." The two guys stared at each other in the eye and I watched the wordless exchange between them, bracing myself for a fight over me tripping.

The guy adverted his gaze at last, "sorry, bro." And I could see the brunette's jaw twitched as he placed his hands on the guy's desk and leaned forward until their faces were inches apart.