Chapter 5

Alexis

Trent didn't show up in school the next day, which was surprising.

"Trent Grayson!" I pounded on his front door as the door swung open a brief moment later with Trent facing at me and straightened his clothes. "Nice bed hair." I commented as his hand shot up to give it a quick fix before giving me a thumbs up and a childish grin and I rolled my eyes at his childishness. He was different from his usual self today.

"Come on in then," he said monotonously as I went into his living room and he closed the door behind us and it closed with a slam, I looked at him as he apologised for slamming the door. He walked towards the kitchen with his back facing me. "What are you here for?" He looked back and locked eyes with me. He stopped in his tracks momentarily.

"I brought you burritos," his eyes lit up with the mention of food, "and your homework from school." His eyes then dropped, I suppressed a laugh as I placed the wrappings and the stack of paper on his dining table and swung my backpack off my shoulder before walking over to his bathroom and washed my hands. I re-emerged a moment after and slipped into the seat opposite to his, finding him had already gotten it unwrapped and was taking a bite off it.

"Tasty." He muttered his thanks and I unwrapped mine and joined him. We ate in a comfortable silence before he continued. "My mom would be back soon so we could just finish our homework in my room, if you'd like."

"Fine with me, where have you absent today though?" I asked as he stuffed the rest of his burrito into his mouth and folded the wrapping into a perfect square before walking to the trash bin and threw it.

He held up a finger, swallowed the food before continuing, which was completely unusual, for he was never a guy with manners. "Caught a cold."

I propped my head up and let out a noncommittal aww, "get well soon." The room fell silent, but I broke it. "...Trent?"

"Hmm?"

"What were you doing outside my room yesterday?" I asked, feeling ashamed of the question. He didn't want you to be sick, the sensible side of me scolded myself. I wanted to hear it from him, the other of side of me argued.

He was silent for a moment, as if he was debating whether he should tell me. I walked to his kitchen to throw the package away and I felt him inching towards me. "I just wanted to make sure that you're alright," he spoke softly that it almost came out like a whisper, and then I noticed how different was he comparing to his usual self. He looked with his brown eyes boring into mine intensely, immersing me in its intensity. He sounded so serious today, the cocky and arrogant Trent was gone. "I don't want you to get sick."I felt myself on the edge of blushing just by this sentence. I fanned my face with my hands to calm myself down, but the more I think about what did he just say, the more heat was coming up on my cheek.

This boy is driving me crazy.

No, wait. Scratch that.

This boy drove me crazy.

For a moment, I felt as if I couldn't speak as I stared back and the silence occupied the moments afterwards I adverted my gaze because I felt awkward looking into his eyes. My mind was racing and I realised my fear had came true.

I liked him.

I have never liked someone so intensely that it's terrifying. I couldn't stop thinking about him, whenever I try to push him away from my mind, he always came back, to claim it as his. It felt as though I had been in the wrong place all along, but when I saw him again on the first day of school, when we locked eyes with each other, it felt like I finally find the right place for me. I belonged in his gaze, his intense brown gaze, the way his eyebrow furrowed together when he was thinking hard, the way how he stroked his chin, pretending there was a beard in there, the way he hold his gaze with me and there was something in his eyes, in the way he looked at me that I couldn't explain. I liked every single part of him, the childish part, the cunning part, the charming part, the mature part, or even when he was dozing off at class.