Chapter 3

Alexis

Oh my gosh Alexis, I never knew you and Trent know each other since you're young!" Val exclaimed as she ran back and fro between my bed and my closet, pulling clothes out from my closet and laid them on my bed as I sat on my wooden chair, which was placed next to my working table, where a few textbooks and assignments were placed on it. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I actually was pl-"

"But oh my gosh! That's so cute you know," Val interjected, not giving me time to explain myself. "There are a lot of couples who had known each other since they were young and they got married at the end. Do you know that?" She gushed. I found myself amusing as I listened to her rambling while fighting the urge to roll my eyes at her. "Think about it! My bestie getting married to her lifelong childhood friend! How exciting is that? Oh and I'll be wearing a beautiful violet gown and be a wonderful bridesmaid as I watch my bestie walk down the aisle with a flower crown and a veil covering her face while Trent is standing at the end, admiring how beautiful his bride is..."

"Chill. No one's getting married." I held up my hand, asking her to shut up in the most polite way possible. "I think you need a break from cheesy romance." I pointed out, making her stopped dead in her tracks with her back facing me.

"Well, at least I do have that romantic vibe in me." She turned sharply and spoke, waving her diva hand dramatically as she walked towards me with a hanger in her hand. "Wear this." She said, waving a long silvery gray dress in front of my face with a proud smile. That was my planned prom dress. Her smile fell a little when she didn't get her response, "no?"

"Um, no. I actually um.. Is it possible for someone to actually wear a silvery gray dress to someone's birthday party?" I asked, still trying to sound as polite as possible.

Val stopped in her tracks and squinted at me for a while, still trying to convince herself that the red dress is probably a good idea. "Fine." She said at last with her shoulders sagging as she walked to my closet and threw a loose white t-shirt in a backward motion. I swiftly caught it with one hand as she threw me a pair of tight skinny jeans, prepared to hand me my necklace with an A on it. She then thought twice about it and grabbed a leather jacket off the hanger and shoved it into my outstretched hands.

"Val," I complained as she held up her diva hand, silencing me.

"Suck it up and be a cool girl tonight, Lexi. We're going to woo your man tonight." With that she exited the room, leaving me standing by the bed, stunned. "Are you coming or not? Oh, and get your black combat boots out, girl." Val shouted from the living room. I heard her footsteps slowed and footsteps echoed throughout the hallway as she made her way to my room again, poking her head out from the doorframe, "and one more thing, don't forget your socks!"

I couldn't help but to roll my eyes at her, "duh." I walked towards the door and pushed her out of the room by pinching her sides, "shoo shoo!"

Val tried to shove me away while protecting her sides and grabbed my hands. Leaning towards me, she whispered in my ears, "don't forget to wear your socks."

"Hey!" I tried to free my hands from her grasp and pinch her sides again, but she quickly grabbed the handle and swung the door shut in front of me. "You suck!" I practically yelled at the wooden door, knowing she still might be there.

"And you swallow, 'bae."

____

Since what happened back at my house, we hadn't been talking on the way to Thomas' down the street, but we had been glancing towards each other's directions and mocked each other without any physical contacts. Knowing Val, I stayed away from her the whole time. Walking up to the porch of the white-bricked house we did a brief round of rock paper and scissors to determine who should ring the door.