Chapter 15: Practice Makes Perfect (Part 5)

Julie jumped and turned to see a man in a dark blue uniform walking toward her.

"Miss? Can I help you? Are you here to see someone?"

Her mouth went dry, and she couldn't find any words. She was caught.

The man came closer, staring at her face intently. "You look like Lir. You must be his daughter. Julie, right?"

Wide-eyed, she stared at the man and nodded. He could tell who she was by looking at her face. Or was he using something else to tell who she was.

"Well, let me call him and let him know you are here. I wish he had told me you were coming to visit today. I like to keep a list of expected visitors. Plus I would have been here when you came in. Can't just have anyone wandering around in here." He quirked his head to the side. "Well, go on. Take a seat."

Julie's eyes traveled back to the giant flowered wall behind him.

He looked over to where she stared. "Well, you can't go in there. It's the town meeting hall. Only for, well...Here." He took her arm, guided her to one of several seating areas that dotted the lobby, and went to a desk on the other side of long lobby to pick up a phone.

She leaned toward him, but his voice was too low to hear any words. She gripped her legs with her fingers and looked at the lobby doors. He couldn't catch her if she ran out. But where would she go? She couldn't escape across the bridge. She tensed up, trying to decide if she should run or stay.

The security guard came back and sat down across from her. She stayed stiff, tucking her hands under her legs so she could clench the seat's fabric. She couldn't run away now. She would have to stick this out.

"Julie?" She looked up to see her Dad and Jamie crossing the lobby from a door to the side.

"Dad." She wanted to scream but managed to say it normally.

"Honey, I wasn't expecting you to visit today. Did your mom send you?"

Maybe if she acted vague..."I don't know. I don't remember." She tried to look spacey and gripped the couch fabric harder.

Her father stared at her for a moment, looked at the security guard, and shrugged. "Thanks Larynd. I got it from here. Looks like we have a bit of confusion. I'll take her across the street for breakfast."

The guard looked between Julie and Lir. She held her breath.

"It's okay. I understand." He patted her on the shoulder. "Your dad will help you now."

Julie clenched her teeth. Anger that they expected her to zone out warred with relief that she was safe. They acted like she was an invalid or something. She knew what she saw on the other side of the doors. Something weird was going on.

"Come on, Julie. Let's go."

"Dad, what is she doing here?" Jamie whispered when they got outside.

Lir frowned at her. "I don't know. Maybe she wanted to see where I worked or something."

Julie's fist balled up. Now they were talking about her like she wasn't even there. Did they still think she was spaced out? Would she normally be spaced out this long?

They hung around long enough to make sure she ate. Then Lir went over quietly to talk to the coffeehouse owner. After they left, Julie pretended to read for a few hours. She had a lot to think about. Even when it got busy, the owner came over to check on her several times.

It was almost noon. She half hoped that if Rory did go to the gym, he didn't wait. He was so awful when they first met. The second time, when she saved his life, wasn't any better. Then the same evening when he kissed her, it was more about him testing what was going on to confirm they had some kind of weird attraction to each other. It was clear he didn't want it though. That he would fight it, if he could. The feelings she had for him couldn't be real. Hopefully it was late enough that he gave up on her. If he even showed up at all. She wanted to dance.

Julie walked in the gym and locked the door behind her. Rory sat in the bleachers. She plopped her bag down away from where he sat. "Oh, you're here. Great."

***

Hope you enjoyed!