Practice Makes Perfect (Part 10)

The parking lot had a ramp that led down to the dock that had many boats lined up in separate slips. Rory got out of the car, and she followed him before he could open her door. He grabbed a cooler and duffle bag from the trunk and turned to the boat ramp. His feet made a crunching sound as he made his way across the gravel.

"This is where my father keeps his boat. There are no docks on the island." He pointed at one of the smaller sailboats.

"Yeah, wouldn't want more than one escape route."

"What was that?"

"I can't tell you. It's against the rules." She grinned at him.

He quirked an eyebrow and held a hand out to help her down. Julie stood in the middle of the boat, wringing her hands. She didn't know a lot about boats. A large mast stood tall and naked above the boat, the white sail firmly tied down to the long pole.

"What, no huge yacht?"

"Oh, we like to feel the waves under our feet." That was an interesting way of saying no. "I think you'll like it too. Have you ever been on a boat in the ocean?"

"No."

He grinned. "Good, this will be fun."

"Is it safe for us to go alone?"

"Yes, don't worry. I'll keep you safe. Nothing can happen when I'm around."

Julie raised her eyebrows, remembering how she had pulled him out of the ocean a few weeks ago. He pointed to a seat in the bottom of the boat, and she sat down. She was wedged between the cooler and duffle bag. The sides were reassuringly high from down here.

The boat bumped gently against the dock with each wave. Instead of unfurling the sail, Rory unwound the rope, tying it to the dock, and sat down behind a steering wheel. Pulling a key from inside his pocket, he turned on a motor.

"Don't you need to put the sail up or something?"

"Not this close to the dock. I'll put it up when we get out there." He pointed to the vast expanse of water in front of them. He grinned back at her, the wind whipping his hair, and lines around his eyes crinkled with joy.

She gripped the side of the boat. The waves were bigger out here. She felt like a bath toy in a vast tub.

I hope he knows what he's doing.

Once they were away from the dock, Rory turned the motor off, not worried about the how the waves pushed them around as he untied the sail. He cranked it up until it filled the sky with white above her head. Julie kept a firm grasp on the sides.

He kicked off his shoes, got up on the front of the boat without holding on to the tiny one bar railing in the front, and held out his hand to her.

"Come on, Julie. Kick your shoes off. Come stand up here me."

"You have got to be crazy."

"You promised! You said you would do whatever I asked."

"I didn't promise to do something dangerous."

"This isn't dangerous. Trust me. Or do you want to stay here all day?"

He stood there with his hand out, waiting. They were not going anywhere until she stood up with him. She kicked off her shoes slowly, eyeing the sail flapping a little in the wind. The boat kept bobbing around on the waves. They weren't going anywhere. How bad could this be? It wasn't like the boat was moving, so if they toppled into the water, they could get right back in. She took his hand.

Rory pulled her against his side and whooped loudly.

Suddenly the whole boat lurched. She looked back. The sail was no longer flapping—it was taut and full of air. The boat zoomed forward.

Julie caught her breath, sure they were going to fall, but Rory kept a tight hold on her, somehow maintaining his footing while they careened wildly in the wind. He held onto nothing.

How the hell was he standing so still? How the hell was she still standing? It felt like they were flying over the waves.

When she was sure she wasn't going to fall, she took a deep breath. The wind beat at her, but she stood firm, leaning into it. The rush of wind and spray from the water made her breathless.

"This is awesome!"

He pulled the hair away from where it was plastered to her neck, leaned down, and kissed her neck in his favorite place. Julie shivered. Waves of longing swept over her.

She wasn't sure how long they made out, standing on the front of the boat, but she would never forget her first boat ride. She wasn't sure how he managed it. People must exaggerate how dangerous it was on the water. It seemed almost like the boat drove itself.

Her stomach rumbled. "What time is it?"

"Lunch time." Rory smiled again as he pointed at a small island that the boat was approaching. He tossed in the anchor like it weighed nothing.

It was a very small island. There were four small trees, a big rock, and a wide beach. It looked like heaven.

"I didn't bring a swimsuit."

"Here." He pulled something out something from the duffle bag and thrust it into her hands.

Julie didn't trust that evil twinkle in his eyes.

She shook out a tiny swimsuit. "It's purple. It looks like the one I already have at home, except smaller." She frowned. "A lot smaller."

He grinned, running a hand through his short dark hair.

"I have been picturing you in that damned thing for weeks. Why do you think I brought you out here? This was all my nefarious plan to get you back in that thing. I didn't get a good enough look at you in it. Since I had this planned. I decided to...you know...get you a smaller one."

She punched in gently on the arm to wipe the smirk off his face.

"Um, where can I change?"

He waved his hand around the small boat. Julie put her hand on her hips and shook her head.

"Suit yourself, but I'm going to go have lunch."

Rory stripped off his shirt and tossed it in the duffle. He threw the cooler over the side of the boat and dived in next to where it bobbed along in the water. His dark shorts were obviously a swimsuit.

"Change. You can join me in a minute."

Julie watched as he towed the cooler and bag behind him to the shore of the island. She looked down at the tiny swimsuit. Her bikini was made for sports, with comforting wide pieces of fabric. These were just triangles with strings. She wasn't even sure it would stay on as she swam to the shore.

She sighed. She didn't want to spend the whole day sitting in the boat. She had the feeling Rory was more than willing to wait for her to decide to join him.

I'll get him back for this.

***

Visit me at www.KathleenRovner.com!

When Lightning Strikes [COMPLETED]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें