Frenemies (Part 3)

Julie didn't meet Rory the next day. Instead she spent the morning at home. Then she walked to and from the gym with Kara.

On the way home, she felt like she was being watched. She looked back and saw Rory walking down the road. He waved at her, trying to signal for her to go off on her own. She narrowed her eyes, shook her head, and flipped him off behind Kara's back. Even from this far, she could see Rory blanch. Kara chatted happily the whole time and didn't notice that Julie was extra quiet that day.

When she got to her room there was another flower, some chocolate, and a note. She crumpled up the flower, burying it in her trash. She looked at the chocolate. The thought of eating it made her want to puke. She hurled the pieces one at a time off her balcony.

Rory popped out from the trees behind her house and waved at her. All her thoughts about him spying on her when they were dating may have been true. She frowned.

Was he going to lurk around her for a while? What would she do? She didn't think he was dangerous, but then again she never really knew him.

She ripped up the note he had written her, threw it down at him, and went back inside, closing her curtains. A moment later she heard something pelt the glass balcony door. He was throwing rocks at the door. Jamie was downstairs watching TV, and he would see Rory if he looked out the window. As much as she might want him to beat the crap out of the jerk, she didn't want her brother to get hurt.

She stormed over. "Go away. Go away before someone sees you here. I don't want to see you ever again. Just go away."

"Jules, let me explain."

Angry tears dripped down her face.

She hated him so much for doing this to her. And she hated herself for crying in front of him. "No. And don't call me Jules."

"If you don't let me explain, I'll go crazy." He dragged his hand through his hair. His eyes were big and wild.

She didn't care. She started to close the door. "That sounds like your problem."

"If you don't come down, I'm coming up."

She cracked the door open again, not looking at him. "You wouldn't dare. I'll scream. My brother is downstairs."

"I don't care."

"Obviously you do. Did you tell your friends about me? Did you tell your girlfriend about me? Yeah, that's right I know Melissande is your girlfriend. Joke's on me, since I'm the last one to know." Her voice caught.

"It isn't like that. I've ended it with Melissande."

She closed her eyes and gripped the edge of the balcony. The sound of his voice made her body shake with longing. She was too close to letting him come up, letting him tell her anything so she could feel good again.

"Even if that's true, I don't care. Go away. I'm going downstairs to watch TV with Jamie. There's no point in coming up here. I know you can do it since you get stuff in here all the time, so I'm leaving. You can be all creepy and watch through the window for all I care."

Julie went downstairs and sat next to Jamie, who smiled at her. She had no idea what was on, but she tried to laugh when he did. She rubbed her eyes on the opposite side of him when a tear leaked out. Outside she saw Rory watch her for a while. She fought the urge to go out to him, feeling safe with her brother.

He was the one who screwed up. He was the liar. Just one of the crowd.

There was another note later that night with a flower and this time a small box. Inside was an amethyst ring. It was pretty. She threw it out the window, not carrying if anyone ever found it.

Julie changed into her pajamas and got into bed. Her heart was racing. She couldn't decide if she was scared of him coming or of wanting him to come.

He wouldn't come up here. He would leave her alone after a while if she made it clear she didn't want to see him. Wouldn't he? She couldn't imagine what he could possibly be so desperate to tell her. That whatever it was would make any difference. Maybe she should give him a chance.

What was she thinking? She was such a fool.

She lay awake for a long time—waiting, dreading, longing for him to carry out his threat. She glanced at the clock. It was three am.

He wasn't coming. She held back tears. She should be happy he stayed away. That's what she wanted. This would get better.

The next day was the same. She was stronger than this. She deserved better than this. She could focus on her dancing to forget. If he wasn't careful, someone would notice. She didn't want to explain to anyone what an idiot she was.

There were a dozen flowers in her room that night. She found them in her drawers, her desk, and her bed. The note simply said: I'm desperate. Please see me. Please let me explain.

Julie crumpled it up, trashed all the flowers, and went downstairs. She was going to have to do something about her trash can soon or someone would notice all the torn up roses.

She paled at the idea that he might be feeling the way she did—that he wouldn't be able to stay away from her, even if he wanted to.

That night she dreamed about blue eyes. The eyes slowly turned to gray, and in her sleep, she relived the time with Rory at the small island. She thrashed, feeling Rory's touch. She opened her eyes. She was in her bed.

A hand rubbed down her side. He kissed her neck.

"Jules," Rory said softly next to her. "Julie, I'm sorry to do this, but I couldn't stay away anymore. Please listen to me."

He was actually in her room. What the hell was he doing there?

Julie stiffened. She shivered with longing and dread. Her stomach tightened into a tiny knot of fear. She wanted to wrap her arms around him and kiss him until she forgot what he did, but she knew she would regret it.

She blinked back tears. A few days ago she would have been dead sure that he would never hurt her.

Now she wasn't so sure. Was he capable of that?

She sucked in a deep breath, ignoring the salty sweet smell of Rory, until she felt her whole body tingling. Then she pulled her legs up into a ball and pushed him out of the bed.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" She wanted to scream, but the thought of Jamie coming in right now made her cold. She didn't want anyone to know how stupid she had been.

"I can't stay away from you. I know I should but I can't." He rolled over and got up, starting to come back to her.

"Get out. Get out now." She hissed. She had to keep him away from her. Once he touched her, she knew that her resolve would waver. For whatever reason, the physical feelings she had with him were too strong. She would forgive him. She couldn't do that to herself.

Someone knocked on her door.

"Julie? Are you all right? I thought I heard something?" Jamie said from the doorway.

"Jamie!"

"Julie, what's wrong?" Jamie opened the door and turned the light on. He stood for one second, and his face turned white and hard as he saw Rory sprawled on the floor.

"What the hell are you doing in my sister's room? Didn't I tell you to stay away from her?"

Jamie picked Rory up, pinning him to the wall. His hands shook. Rory held his hands up in front of himself.

"Jamie—don't." Julie cried out, unable to help herself. He looked over at her in disbelief.

Rory met her eyes. Some of the desperation died out of them as he heard her words. He knew he was close to getting her back.

"I know. I know I should, but I can't." Rory said.

"What do you mean you can't?" Jamie's eyes narrowed.

Rory hesitated. His eyes darted between Julie and Jamie. "The day she rescued me, I found out. We connected."