Truth Hurts (Part 5)

"Jamie, Rory isn't hurting me. He was trying to explain everything to me."

Jamie stood up straighter. His face flushed red and his eyes were big and wild. Was this her brother?

"What did you tell her?"

Rory straightened next to her. "I told her everything—or almost everything. She needed to know."

"What do you mean everything?"

"I showed her what I can do. She knows, Jamie. She knows we are Fey."

"How dare you! Do you understand how painful keeping this from her has been for me, for my family? We needed to tell her—not you. Not you!" Spit flew from his mouth as he yelled.

Julie shivered. She didn't recognize him like this.

"Jamie," she broke from Rory. He tried to hold on to her, but she shook him off. "Jamie, it's okay. I understand some of it now. You can tell me the rest."

"No. He had no right. He's a spoiled brat, and he doesn't deserve you. He had no right."

Julie bristled. "That isn't your decision, Jamie."

He raised an eyebrow.

Rory shouted out behind her. Julie looked behind her as he moaned, collapsed to his knees, and held his head in his hands. She sat down next to him and pulled up his head. His eyes rolled back, and he moaned again.

Her chest clenched. She couldn't watch him get hurt like this...or even die. She knew they couldn't be together, but she couldn't let this happen.

"Jamie, please stop. Whatever you are doing, please stop." She looked at her brother. His own eyes were closed, and he was shaking.

"Jamie," Rory choked out. "Jamie, stop, or I'll have to fight back. I don't want to, for Julie's sake, but I will."

Julie shook with relief. He was still okay for now. She got up to walk over to her brother.

Jamie laughed. A stone hit him on the side of his face. His laugh changed to a grunt. His eyes narrowed. A larger stone pelted him harder, and a trickle of blood dripped down the side of his face. His grin faded into a frown.

Rory cried out behind her. She looked back at him. He kept on screaming, his head in his hands. Blood dripped from his ears.

Her head whipped back as Jamie cried out. Bigger stones struck him on the side of the head and stomach. He doubled over as a huge one hit him in the stomach. When he looked up again, his face was set in determined lines.

"I will protect you, Julie. I won't let him or anyone else hurt you anymore."

"Stop! Stop hurting each other. We can all talk about this." Julie stood between them, not knowing who to run to. Both were screaming in pain. She put her hands up to her face trying to block it all out.

What could she do? She had no way to stop this.

"I'm so sorry," Rory said behind her, "but I have to defend myself. Please forgive me. I don't want to hurt him. I know he's only trying to protect you."

"Stop," she cried out. "Please. Oh my god, please stop."

They were going to kill each other. She couldn't stop them.